Mag mic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    The bluegrass guys all use K&K pickups and a Grace something preamp, which results in the most real sounding plugged in acoustic tones I’ve heard.

Kind of a different approach, but I’ve also seen them use a little Shure clip on mic (ATM350?) which also sounds pretty good. Much better than your average plugged in acoustic rock guitarist.
    A mic will always sound better than a pickup - I did a few little clips using an SM57 and its really good and natural sounding, and it doesn't feedback! But yeah a hassle positioning two boom mic stands and having to sit in the same position for the live recording.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post

Ok thanks for looking, I am going to take my time with it anyway as I'm still researching options. I could easily have ordered it today and it'd be here tomorrow but there's a couple of other brands I'm interested in which will take longer to arrive.
      That seems wise. Especially if you could be installing and removing it weekly.

If your recording live videos setup permits it, I would also look into the clip on mics JB_From_Hell noted. I have seen several of those at the singer songwriter shows in the smaller, intimate, respectful venues around here. Dougie MacLean was using one and his sounded darn good.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

i have a magmic in my d28 and its great. i usually only blend in a little of the mic to get the openess of the top end but it works well. ive never recorded with it so cant comment about that. the cable is not detachable but im guessing you could figure something out if you really wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

That seems wise. Especially if you could be installing and removing it weekly.

If your recording live videos setup permits it, I would also look into the clip on mics JB_From_Hell noted. I have seen several of those at the singer songwriter shows in the smaller, intimate, respectful venues around here. Dougie MacLean was using one and his sounded darn good.
          Yeah, I looked up the clip on mics, but they seem to be condenser mics which might cause feedback?

E.g https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZWRLweohao

I do have a Yamaha MG10 mixer which has 4 xlr inputs so could use it but we have to turn the backing music up pretty loud to hear it enough to keep in time.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            i have a magmic in my d28 and its great. i usually only blend in a little of the mic to get the openess of the top end but it works well. ive never recorded with it so cant comment about that. the cable is not detachable but im guessing you could figure something out if you really wanted to.
            Ok that's cool to know. I may get on with it well then. I store my D28 in its case when not in use so I don't know if leaving the pickup on the soundhole would stop me closing the case properly.

Comment

it didnt for me. for a long time i didnt have it permanently mounted, just had the cable hang out of the sound hole and put the loop on the strap button. worked fine for me and i had no issues with the case. i did wrap the jack in a polish cloth so it wouldnt bang around in the case and scratch anything

Comment

Wise move, last thing I want is scratches or damaged to my beloved guitar! Just realised the pickup would actually stay beneath the strings so I can shut the case easily, as you mentioned its the cable hanging out and moving around inside the case that's the issue.

I think I'm leaning towards the Schertler AG6 pickup, but definitely interested in having the Mag Mic as a secondary/backup pickup (could even lend it to the other person I film with so we both go direct into mixer) or in case anything goes wrong with the AG6. Plus Schertler are closed til the 16th so I have a bit more time to consider.

Comment

oof that website is rough LOL

Comment

Haha. I've been dealing with them direct via email so haven't really looked at the site. If I do put in an order it'd be in 2 weeks time and maybe the month after or so I'll get myself a Mag Mic. Or I get a Mag Mic now and do it the other way round... Decisions decisions....

Comment

The only aftermarket acoustic amplification I've had good experiences with is the LR Baggs Anthem. It has a great mic and pickup combination to cover the full range of sound. The two inherent weaknesses of microphones in acoustic guitars is that they have feedback and don't really pick up the bass frequencies all that well. The weakness of undersaddle transducers is that they don't have all that much high end to them. The Anthem uses them both in tandem with adjustable phase on the transducers to that you don't have to worry about any of those three problems. It also has an almost invisible profile.

You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience with LR Baggs, but LR Baggs was what my Luthier recommended for my kids' ukuleles when they were on stage.

I'm just too much of die hard SD fan. If it isn't in production, MJ will make it happen for me.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

See my original plan when I got the D28 was to get an LR Baggs Anthem fitted but it'd cost me £350 for the actual system then a further £100 or so for someone to actually install it. Secondly I'm still paying the guitar off on finance so I don't want to make any major modifications to it til next year (think the last payment is June 2022) so wanted something easy to install and moveable between guitars. I've also considered the M1 active and M80 but very interested in the Mag Mic as it has the blend option.

Comment

I actually went for the Schertler pickup (the AG6 with a small condenser mic you can plug into blend). They had production faults with the first 2 they sent but the 3rd has been working great since October 2021. Sounds great, natural and warm and very easy to install. As a backup I actually got the iRig Acoustic stage which is good and will get me through a gig if the Schertler went down.

Comment

Working...
                            X