banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried rewiring APH-2 pups for coil splitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried rewiring APH-2 pups for coil splitting?

I've got a set of APH-2 pups and am interested in rewiring them for coil splitting. Has anyone tried it or found useful instructions?

Tx

Are they stock single conductor leads? If so, there are some videos available.

Here is a short one, but there are longer with verbal instructions, if you search.

Last edited by JamesPaul; 08-02-2021, 06:28 AM. Reason: Added video
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

The APH-2 has a pretty good split sound, especially if combined in parallel with another split pickup.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I used to split one in the neck of a tele paired with a Hot for Tele in the bridge. It gave me a pretty good range of sounds.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Coil split is useful for neck pickups, as there's more string energy in that slot, so they're not as bright and thin as a split bridge pickup. However, what's much better than coil split is spin-a-split, which lets you dial in as much, or as little, of the 2nd coil as you want, by converting the neck tone pot into a 2nd volume control, but for one coil only. Basically it's unbalanced coils, like the original 1950's PAF's. You can dial the 2nd coil down all the way and still get coil split, but you also get many more options. Wiring diagram on this site.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Coil split is useful for neck pickups, as there's more string energy in that slot, so they're not as bright and thin as a split bridge pickup. However, what's much better than coil split is spin-a-split, which lets you dial in as much, or as little, of the 2nd coil as you want, by converting the neck tone pot into a 2nd volume control, but for one coil only. Basically it's unbalanced coils, like the original 1950's PAF's. You can dial the 2nd coil down all the way and still get coil split, but you also get many more options. Wiring diagram on this site.
            Yeah- I utilize splitting much more in the neck than the bridge. I only split the bridge in combination with the split neck.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The APH-2 splits very, very well, particularly for a lower wind design
              __PRESENT
              Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
              Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
              Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
              Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
              Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
              Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
              Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
              Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
              Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
              PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

The jazz and A2Ps I have/had were all 4-conductor, except the 35th anniversary jazz neck have.

Comment

Working...
                X