X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unoriented magnet caused out of phase

Hi all,

can I please get your advice.

i bought a brand new matched set of 59 Humbuckers for my 2016 SG standard. Before fitting them for the first time I swapped the bridge magnet for a UOA5. I followed the instructions very carefully and I’m positive that I put the new mag in correctly in terms of polarity. BUT after finishing the job, the middle position sounds thin and low output so I assume the pickups are out of phase. So frustrating!

what did I do wrong? Are unoriented mags fitted differently to standard oriented mags?

thanks for any advice!

Stavs

Sounds like you just put the magnet in facing the wrong way; I've done the same thing in a magnet swap before. Nothing special about unoriented mags that would cause them to be out of phase.

Comment

Or you put the magnet in fine and wired the pickups wrong.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

You can check with a magnetic compass to see if its right. The slug poles should attract the South needle on the compass.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I now know the problem, the YouTube video I followed is incorrect. Infuriating. https://youtu.be/ZIfwn47hK9M - (from 6 mins) you can see how he explains polarity and how to replace the magnet with correct polarity. The way he replaces the magnet in the video is the wrong way around causing the out of phase in the middle position. Grrrr!

Comment

At 9:45, its explained how to to install the magnet - actually backwards. Oops!

Comment

Pain in the ass. But fairly easily remedied.

Is the vid a recent one? Has somebody let that YouTuber know his instructions are wrong?
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                Pain in the ass. But fairly easily remedied.

Is the vid a recent one? Has somebody let that YouTuber know his instructions are wrong?
                it’s been up on YouTube for 4 years and yes some of the comments warn that the advice is incorrect, but he either doesn’t read the comments or he thinks he’s right or he just doesn’t want to edit/remove the video. I could think of a few good words to describe this guy but I‘m going to refrain!

Comment

Before you “fix” it, try playing in the middle position and rolling one of the volumes back a little. It’ll vary the degree of how out of phase it is, and lots of cool tones can be found.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

thats true, but ive never been happy with being stuck with that sound. i like the normal, in phase middle sound. having a phase switch on a lp is cool though

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      Before you “fix” it, try playing in the middle position and rolling one of the volumes back a little. It’ll vary the degree of how out of phase it is, and lots of cool tones can be found.
                      Thanks for this but I wasn’t really feeling it. Much happier now that I turned the magnet around..

Comment

Make sure that you leave a comment on the video kindly explaining that it is wrong.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What do you think about the 59b with the new magnet?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I use UOA5's in bridge '59's to take off the excess high end and fill in some mids, along with getting the sonic texture of an unoriented magnet. Big improvement to my ears. It's the magnet that should have been in the Vintage Blues set. A stock '59B with 500K pots is pretty thin and bright.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                            X