"Do It All" HH Wiring Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post
    Well, I cranked my amp up with this Blacktop Strat just now and it is working beautifully. Sounds like it should in all 5 positions, no phase issues and no hum. This could easily become the only guitar I have and I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything. It seriously does everything that I want a guitar to do.

Finally I can get this out of the back of my mind and move on to other projects!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Congrats on getting it up and running. And glad that you like it. It really is a wonderful wiring scheme.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        Congrats on getting it up and running. And glad that you like it. It really is a wonderful wiring scheme.
        This was frustrating because it had that wiring scheme from the factory, and I loved it, but changing the stock pickups required a complete rewire.

I'm super excited to have the excellent switching scheme back and also great SD pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
          You want 2, 3 and or 4 in series or parallel?
          How about having both? I rotated the neck pickup 180 but no mag flipping was required. The schematic is not mine. Found it online. Possibly even here. I don't remember. The guitar and wiring work are mine however.

Its the circuit from a Charvel DK24 Pro Mod HH 2pt. I loved it so much in that one that I replicated it in the Ibanez. The 4PDT you need is a little harder to find but not terribly so. I added shielding and a Kinman style treble bleed while I was as it. I thought about switching the tone control to a bass cut as well but opted against it. All positions are in phase and hum cancelling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Charvel ProMod DK24 HH 2pt Wiring diagram.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	6107942
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Finished Cavity 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.3 KB ID:	6107944
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Finished cavity close up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	6107946
          Before
          Click image for larger version  Name:	RG421.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	6107949
          After
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Finished Guitar front.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	6107947
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bill Dennis; 08-30-2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this thread but thank you Bill. I realised ages ago that my DK's neck pickup was built upside down judging from where the wire exited it. When I replaced it, I couldnt put the new pup in upside down with the SD logo on it. It just looked odd. So I flipped the magnet and the swapped the magnets to get the coils right. By chance, it all phased up properly and appears to be hum cancelling. Not being dilligent enough to work it out, I just kept trying combinations of the wiring to get there. I might even have had to wire the bridge backwards. I cant remember. Anyway, the point was I'm just happy you replicated it by putting the neck pup in upside down. It confirmed what I've suspected all along.

Comment

Originally posted by alexwong View Post
              Sorry to resurrect this thread but thank you Bill. I realised ages ago that my DK's neck pickup was built upside down judging from where the wire exited it. When I replaced it, I couldnt put the new pup in upside down with the SD logo on it. It just looked odd. So I flipped the magnet and the swapped the magnets to get the coils right. By chance, it all phased up properly and appears to be hum cancelling. Not being dilligent enough to work it out, I just kept trying combinations of the wiring to get there. I might even have had to wire the bridge backwards. I cant remember. Anyway, the point was I'm just happy you replicated it by putting the neck pup in upside down. It confirmed what I've suspected all along.
              Well, the important part is that it is working. This still remains my favorite wiring for 2 humbuckers, too.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Interesting, I have a guitar that has a PGn neck and Custom Custom bridge that requires a magnet flip in order for all positions to be in phase.

Just to reiterate an important piece of info that was made earlier in this thread, the wiring of the phase of the pickups is what determines noise canceling, not the phase relationship of the magnets.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                X