• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickguard for my 2012 American std strat

Was thinking about a SD jb in the bridge
    and 2 single coil sized duckbuckers in mid and neck
    500k pots

Any opinions tips on this combination

the jb will greatly over power the ducks, which can be fine if you like having a big output difference. i much prefer the ducks with 250k pots. are you doing a typical v,t,t setup?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      the jb will greatly over power the ducks, which can be fine if you like having a big output difference. i much prefer the ducks with 250k pots. are you doing a typical v,t,t setup?
      I ordered enough pots caps etc to do a VTTT...if I can fit another pot in the body cavity i was gonna drill a hole in the pickguard I ordered from stewy
      otherwise I will do the VTT...put the bridge on one t and the mid/neck on the other...but preferably Id have 3 separate tone pots

Comment

I ordered an HSS pickguard assuming the MIA strat was routed for a bridge humbucker
        will look before I order the bridge pup or start wiring the PG lol...

Comment

id assume that it is routed hss or even hsh

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            id assume that it is routed hss or even hsh
            yup...too recent for the swimming pool rout...

Comment

You can also do a JB Jr, but I'd still want more powerful singles in the neck and bridge. Figure out what is more important...volume balance or Stratty tone. Sometimes it is hard to get both.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by semi-hollowbody2018 View Post

I ordered enough pots caps etc to do a VTTT...if I can fit another pot in the body cavity i was gonna drill a hole in the pickguard I ordered from stewy
                otherwise I will do the VTT...put the bridge on one t and the mid/neck on the other...but preferably Id have 3 separate tone pots
                This sounds like a nightmare to me. Strat pickguards are fussy enough with three knobs. Don't know how many times I've messed things up when putting the Strat guard back in... made things touch, pulled a wire off, bent a cap, or some other kind of madness.

You can definitely get away with VTT.

For the JB though, I have some singles on the way for my Strat build and am considering putting a JB in the bridge. The JB will be wired to a split and the volume balance will be based on the split tone. Just a thought.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

That's another way you can take things:. Have the split humbucker be the standard sound at the bridge. I have a Washburn set up so that the split, bridge position Dimebucker is the standard sound on the five way switch and I use a push/pull pot to bring the pickup into series humbucker operation and use it as a sort of boost.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                    That's another way you can take things:. Have the split humbucker be the standard sound at the bridge. I have a Washburn set up so that the split, bridge position Dimebucker is the standard sound on the five way switch and I use a push/pull pot to bring the pickup into series humbucker operation and use it as a sort of boost.
                    I like this idea. I dont see this strategy mentioned much
                    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post

I like this idea. I dont see this strategy mentioned much
                      Thanks. It gives you all the basic HSS sounds, but it prioritizes them differently. I thought of doing this after hearing how shockingly good the Dimebucker is when played clean AND split. It's almost like a Tele bridge sound.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yeah got my pickguard and parts today and there is no way I'm getting a 4th pot

So master volume
                        Bridge tone
                        Mid and neck tone

Looking at classic 59 in bridge and little 59s in mid and neck
                        More balanced output

Comment

I really like that set up.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

So master volume
                            Bridge tone
                            Mid and neck tone

More balanced output
                            It will certainly be more balanced if not very Stratty, but I am guessing that's what you are going for. I am a fan of the Little 59.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So master volume
                              Bridge tone
                              Mid and neck tone

More balanced output
                              You could have three tone controls using a dual-concentric pot in the third spot.
                              If the routs are deep enough for push-pulls, they'd be deep enough for that.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X