• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Hence the superswitch.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
      ^ Hence the superswitch.
      Do you get all 6 sounds out of a super-switch vs a normal 5 way and a push/pull?
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The standard 5-way blade is really a 3-way blade but with a blade that is just too wide, or just wide enough, depending on how you look at it. In the very early Strat days, Fender intended the selections to be bridge, middle, OR neck. The bridge plus middle and middle plus neck options were found by musicians, and subsequently adopted by Fender, who added extra "notches" to the switch in response.

The upshot of this is that it's impossible to use tone controls covering all three pickups without creating a short on the pickup selector side of the switch. Two tone pots covering any two out of three pickups, yes. Two tone pots, one shared between two pickups, no. One has to create a jumper over to the second set of contacts and use those contacts to add the tone connections.

The upshot of that is you don't have a bank of connections left vacant for an auto coil split, dumping the hot end of the first coil to ground and creating a direct ground for the second coil..

The good news is that the super-switch provides a third bank of connections to enable that ground connection.

The bad news is that the superswitch uses five individual connections for P-1 through P-5. Easy enough to jump the bridge inputs between P-1 and P-2, the neck inputs between P-4 and P-5. But to bring in the middle in P-2 P-3 and P-4 you need a FOURTH bank of contacts, otherwise you create shorts.

Comment

Here's MY wiring diagram.

You can swap around which bank does with function to suit yourself.

Attached Files

Comment

So...does it do the same 6 sounds I'm getting now, or....?
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

E, A D, G, B and e?

The wiring diagram I posted does all the standard positions but auto coil splits the bridge humbucker in P-2.

FWIW my HSS is wired with a conventional 5-way, and I have three push-pushes (I can't grip Strat knobs well enough for push-pulls) enabling:
              1. Neck in parallel with bridge in P-1, all three pickups in parallel in P-2;
              2. Phase inverting the middle;
              3. Coil splitting the humbucker.
              As of this afternoon it's got a Little 59 / Custom Hybrid TREMbucker in the bridge and SSL-1s in the middle and neck. Regular SSL-1s, no RWRPs. I'm not sure if I get humbucking in P-2 by default, but I don't have any flourescents in the house anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X