So what do you guys think? & pot stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what do you guys think? & pot stuff

I'm getting a new axe, probably in December or so. It's likely to be mahogany bodied + arched maple cap, w/ maple or mahogany neck and an ebony fretboard. My Ibanez has an extremely fat sometimes bassy tone in the bridge even though it's got a JB in the bridge. I'm not that dissapointed in the JB, but I wanted more brightness which was a characteristic I liked about the JB (it's a bit dark due to the axe). I like more highs than mids and bass. Now I've considered a Custom, but maybe I should grant the JB a second chance. What do you guys think? I play instrumental rock (a touch of shred), speed metal, but also jazz and funk. I need to be able to have chunky chords and articulate palm mutes, but very airy and open, present leads with mucho harmonics, and a nice clean tone would be excellent. The Custom has more bass and mids, so I'm very doubtful about it in this axe especially for my styles.

I'm also planning on disconnecting the tone-pot and replacing one or two pots with push-pull or push-push pots. I want push-push pots, but I don't know any internationally shipping store that sells them, do you guys know any?
    Other than that I was planning on wiring both humbuckers to a master volume (push-push/pull) pot. The guitar will have a 3 way toggle, so if I engage the PP in the middle position, will I get the inner coils of both pick ups or something else?

Thanks!
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Re: So what do you guys think? & pot stuff

Originally posted by Neeradj
    Other than that I was planning on wiring both humbuckers to a master volume (push-push/pull) pot. The guitar will have a 3 way toggle, so if I engage the PP in the middle position, will I get the inner coils of both pick ups or something else?

Thanks!
    Basically, you'll get whatever you wire it up to do. It could be anything.
    If you wire the red/white combo of each pickup to one side of the middle of the push/pull, and then, the top of each push/pull to ground, you should get the inner coils.

Wire the top to the black "hot" wires, for the outer coils instead.

Look at these two diagrams:

There almost the same, except the top of the PP goes to ground on one, and to "hot" on the other - giving you "inners" or "outers".

Comment

Art, if I'm interpreting your layout there, you've got two north coils going with the ground tap (split), and two south coils going with the hot tap (split); the magnetic will need to be flipped on one and it's phase revered, or he can turn the neck pup (really either one) around backwards to get the inner or outer coil, it will just ghave the adjustable poles pointed the other way, and if it's a zebra the colours will point opposite (man I can never, ever remember what is zebra, and what is reverse zebra, and what is north and south on it, and on the neck vs. the bridge ... shheesh!). Plus could you make the images a *little smaller*, i don't know why the forum expands them like that, the first couple I did didn't do that, then the last ones have, I haven't changed the pixel count or image parameters ... I dunno ...
      Anyway, JSYK ...
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Yeah . . . unfortunately, I threw those together real quick, just to illustrate different possibilities. (The zebra's were just some drawings close at hand.)

I should be more careful when someone might be counting on you for a literal answer.

Neeradj; I'll try to "clean these up" a bit, so its more precise how you do it.

Comment

Eh, ... it happens Art, whadda gonna do ...
          Neeradj, You know I'd still go with a no-load tone pot, and a 1meg volume if you guitar is to bassy, that way you'll still have a tone control should you run into a situation to use it, and a 1 Meg should open up your high end a bit, better for the jazz stuff (especially on the neck). The custom has it's mids pulled back a bit, so your only worry might be the low end. If you're trying to accentuate up the upper harmonics , and a little extra bite, while tightening up the sound then the JB might be the better choice over the Custom, the customs do work very well with mid heavy distortion though, or mid heavy amps in general, while still having nice harmonics and high end a plenty. Pup wise one of the others can help you a bit more, according to your woods it's very LP like except for probably the scale. Don't know there. Concerning the pots, I thought stew-mac, all parts, warmoth, and others shipped world wide?

Comment

Thanks guys!

I guess I'm not a very good diagram reader, I don't really understand where to put which, but I guess I could always contact you when I have the axe. I just wanted to know if it were possible.

It's a very hard choice, and yeah it'll probably be in the line of a double cutaway or les paul type guitar. I think I'm going to stick with the no-tone, I don't really use it and I could really use that spot for something else like piëzo volume. It just slipped my mind about the disconnected tone-pot ! Won't I get more highs doing that? So maybe the Custom wouldn't be a bad idea after all. But the JB was my favorite pup a while ago, and I still think it could suit the axe well.

Man what a hard choice ! Can anybody else help me pick one
            Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Neeradj; Since you're not getting the guitar for a little while yet, I'll make these drawing more precise, but it will take a little time.
              There's a couple more folks in the forum that I owe drawings to, that I'm behind on, 'cause I've been working "on the road", so to speak.

I'll try to get caught up here soon.

Comment

Take your time, it's me you're doing a favour for so I'm not in any position (and I wouldn't want to be) to demand anything from you

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Thanks guys!

I guess I'm not a very good diagram reader, I don't really understand where to put which, but I guess I could always contact you when I have the axe. I just wanted to know if it were possible.

It's a very hard choice, and yeah it'll probably be in the line of a double cutaway or les paul type guitar. I think I'm going to stick with the no-tone, I don't really use it and I could really use that spot for something else like piëzo volume. It just slipped my mind about the disconnected tone-pot ! Won't I get more highs doing that? So maybe the Custom wouldn't be a bad idea after all. But the JB was my favorite pup a while ago, and I still think it could suit the axe well.

Man what a hard choice ! Can anybody else help me pick one
                  The pup thing is a real toss up persoanlly, Robert S. comes to mind on this, you might want to PM him, there are other also ... But I think Robert was pretty intense withe the custom(s), JB, PGs.
                  No tone knob, yeah slightly more highs, the 1 Meg would open it up more, try what you got without the tone first nd see if it gets you bright enough while still maintaining the low/mid balance that you want ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                    Concerning the pots, I thought stew-mac, all parts, warmoth, and others shipped world wide?
                    I checked all 3 of them and only Warmoth seems to offer the push-push pots

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

I checked all 3 of them and only Warmoth seems to offer the push-push pots
                      All Parts has some also, you'll have to check, I saw them on theie site, I know they have a 250K-A and a 500k linear ... not sure whether DPDT or SPDT or SPST, can't really tell by the picture (although it looks DPDT), you might want to e-mail 'em and ask. You may have to go with push/pulls to get what you want, if you can't find the type switch, and taper type that you are looking for in a push/push.

Comment

Working...
                      X