banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does the 59/custom hybrid gets it's increased mids from ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does the 59/custom hybrid gets it's increased mids from ?

We know one coil is a 42g wind from a stock 59 and the other is a 43g wind from a stock Custom 5 with both having a 6-3-8 EQ off the SD tone chart , scooped mids with an A5 magnet .
    But when you put them both together to create the 59/custom hybrid the SD tone chart states it has a 6-8-8 EQ , and you can hear that it does have more mids compered to other stock pickups the coils are taken from .

So I am curious , where does the increased mids come from ?
    If the two coils are from mid scooped designed pickups which the 59 and C5 are even though they use different wire , how does the pickup magically increase it's mids to 6-8-8 EQ ?

I don't think that chart is accurate at all. I have a few Hybrids, and they are indeed, scooped.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i agree. i dont hear the hybrid as 6/8/8 , very cool pup though

Comment

Both Duncan's and dimarzio's eq "ratings" are not all correct or accurate.

those numbers can't convey the character of the pickup either.

Comment

there were/are companies that did an eq rating with low, low mid, mid, high mid, highs. that would be more informative but dont know how accurate that was either. there are so many factors that go into how a pup sounds in your rig, i kinda understand why things are all over the place.

Comment

IME, a lot of the identifying characteristics of Duncan pickups happen in the frequencies between B, M and T, which don't appear on any chart.

Comment

Hybrid coil mismatch increases the mids somewhat even with 2 scooped coils but the bar chart and bmt numbers saying the mids go full blast is plain old wrong lol.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

I would use the chart as a guide to compare with another Duncan pickup installed in my guitar. That way I can expect something when looking at the chart values. For someone that doesn't have a Duncan pickup in hand, that chart might seem odd to relate to.

Comment

There is a lot of Alchemy involved. Before I attempt to explain it...have you read Thurmodigum's Treatise on the Metaphics of Lunar Dynamics on Metallic Properties?
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
                    We know one coil is a 42g wind from a stock 59 and the other is a 43g wind from a stock Custom 5 with both having a 6-3-8 EQ off the SD tone chart , scooped mids with an A5 magnet .
                    But when you put them both together to create the 59/custom hybrid the SD tone chart states it has a 6-8-8 EQ , and you can hear that it does have more mids compered to other stock pickups the coils are taken from .

So I am curious , where does the increased mids come from ?
                    If the two coils are from mid scooped designed pickups which the 59 and C5 are even though they use different wire , how does the pickup magically increase it's mids to 6-8-8 EQ ?
                    Two coils wound with different wire gauges have different LRC specs. It contributes to a "comb filtering" effect absent with strictly symetrical coils.
                    Last edited by freefrog; 09-06-2021, 07:19 AM.
                    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I understand the 3-number so-easy-to-understand rating system for pickup EQs, but it is an area that for some pickups, just isn't accurate at all. I don't mind a simple system, but I think those numbers need to be looked at again. It can always be supplemented with a more broad EQ plot that can be overlaid on top of one another to compare different pickups.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        There is a lot of Alchemy involved. Before I attempt to explain it...have you read Thurmodigum's Treatise on the Metaphics of Lunar Dynamics on Metallic Properties?
                        I'm still working through Brian May's thesis on radial velocities in the zodiacal dust cloud, thank you.

Comment

And since all SD's demo recordings sound the same when played through my android phone...

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                            I would use the chart as a guide to compare with another Duncan pickup installed in my guitar. That way I can expect something when looking at the chart values. For someone that doesn't have a Duncan pickup in hand, that chart might seem odd to relate to.
                            I think that's a good point. Midrangier than most Duncans can still be considered scooped compared to most DiMarzios.
                            Mids of the 59/C seem fairly alive to me, at least relative to the 59B. Still, I wouldn't ever describe them as prominent.
                            Complex mids is the phrase used on its web page I believe. A good descriptor IMO.

Looking forawrd to a black limba Explorer-type build that Orpheo is sending me, pictured over on his amazing giveaway thread.
                            It has 59/C Hybrids in both bridge and neck positions.
                            Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 09-07-2021, 07:46 PM.
                            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I understand the 3-number so-easy-to-understand rating system for pickup EQs, but it is an area that for some pickups, just isn't accurate at all. I don't mind a simple system, but I think those numbers need to be looked at again. It can always be supplemented with a more broad EQ plot that can be overlaid on top of one another to compare different pickups.
                              Why not some sort of chart like Shure uses in their Microphone User Guides? If the link works, scroll down to the "Typical Frequency Response" chart. Seems simple and should provide a consistent apples to apples comparison within the product line.

https://pubs.shure.com/guide/Super-5...MDk2NjEyOC40Nw..

Comment

Working...
                              X