banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does the 59/custom hybrid gets it's increased mids from ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Any system, if you understand it, can be useful. But no system is going to be accurate (for all the reasons listed in this thread). This question about the C/59 is a classic example...there is no way that pup has a mid response of "8"! To my ears, it is a very scooped sounding pup. I think it's a great pup, bright and articulate, and have used and made many of them and would certainly recommend that pup for many applications. But not if you want a pup with strong mids!
    I agree with all of this. I think there was a mistake inputting the information on the website, honestly.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The pickup has unbalanced coils. In this case the slug coil is the more powerful "custom" one, while the screw coil is weaker '59. It seems logical to me the pickup will sense less of the high frequency harmonics that are present closer to the bridge. The slug coil is probably better positioned to be sensing lower harmonics / " mids".

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I don't think that chart is accurate at all. I have a few Hybrids, and they are indeed, scooped.
        Yeeeeeeahhhh, uhhh I had one and it was the most scooped pickup I’ve ever owned, still to this day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

[...] the tonal signature of a pickup is partly in its transients and ADSR envelope, that a Rz doesn't reveal. I think that Frank Falbo would agree with this statement.

Etc.

At least that's what my experience and understanding say.
          Maybe I should have swapped these two paragraphs in order to "modalize" my statement: I wouldn't want to sound like someone who pretends to tell "the truth" while we are all mere human beings trying to decipher a complex reality....

Anyway: I understand where and why the idea above can appear as discussible. But a discussible theoretical model is still not "imagination". Mathematical harmonics of my perspective: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...sient_Response

Not enough free time for arguing about that BTW. I just wanted to comment my own words and to share some related link.

EDIT - And here is how Gibson tames the transients characterizing their P.A.F. clones: http://legacy.gibson.com/News-Lifest...ransients.aspx
          Not sure to agree because the atonal attack / strong transients of P.A.F.'s is really a part of their tonal specificity to my ears... and therefore something that I'd tend to take in account to complete any BMT chart or EQing graph. But YMMV. :-)

Last edited by freefrog; 09-17-2021, 10:56 AM.
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
            The pickup has unbalanced coils. In this case the slug coil is the more powerful "custom" one, while the screw coil is weaker '59. It seems logical to me the pickup will sense less of the high frequency harmonics that are present closer to the bridge. The slug coil is probably better positioned to be sensing lower harmonics / " mids".
            I have not been able to sum it up so clearly!

At least let's share some data to back up your statement...

Below is the electrically induced response of an Hybrid that I've built this morning with a SH1 for basis. I've limited the screenshot to most of the fundamental frequencies that we can play along a fretboard. The pickup was paired to the usual resistive / capacitive load created by pots + cable

Although both coils were in series, the custom one was 2dB louder during this capture done with a swept sine wave.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HybridOutputLevelFundamentalNotes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.9 KB ID:	6112982

Here is also a zoom on the resonant peak of the mentioned hybrid, translating how it filters harmonics from each coil. I've trimmed the pic for questions of intellectual property but people will get the picture. Green line = Custom coil, orange line = SH1 coil.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HybridRz.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.2 KB ID:	6112983

Here is a similar zoom on the initial resonant peak of the SH1 used as a donor. Note that it had a Mogami 4wires cable altering slightly the response compared to a factory SH1 with 4wires cable but once again, people will get the picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SH1rz.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.8 KB ID:	6112984

To be continued if possible... I've other data to share and comments to do but not enough free time for that right now.
            Last edited by freefrog; 09-18-2021, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks to Freefrog for providing the simulation. Although I don't know the details of the experiment, I wonder if it captures the physics of the string vibration. After I made my post, I attempted a simulation using a webpage by Mr J.D. Tillman. This only models the sensing the string vibration at a specified distance from the bridge. For this example I chose, 1.3" for the screw pole, and 2.0" for the slug pole. The note simulated is the G string at the 12th Fret, "G" which is 392Hz.

There are subtle differences between the simulation with balanced coils, and the one with Un-balanced coils. The unbalance is -2dB for the screw coil as mentioned by Freefrog. In the diagram I have labeled the harmonics from 2 to 8. Label 1 is the fundamental at 392Hz.

[currently I am having trouble to upload the images, so I will try again tomorrow and see if it works]
              Last edited by Teleplayer; 09-19-2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Images are a little sketchy at the moment. Try hosting them on an image hosting site for now.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                  Thanks to Freefrog for providing the simulation. Although I don't know the details of the experiment, I wonder if it properly captures the physics of the string vibration.
                  Hello,

Thx for sharing! And to answer to your question: it's not supposed to. :-)

My screenshots above translate only how a disparity between coils affect their output level and their global way to shape harmonics as resonant filters ("electrically", if you prefer).

Taking in account strings vibration would require to do what you've done with the Tillman model - BTW, if it's not possible for you to upload pics, I think that people will see what you mean by entering the values that you mention in the online simulator: http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

More later, if time permits.

Comment

Working...
                  X