No announcement yet.

What are the EVH Wolfgang pickups like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the EVH Wolfgang pickups like?

Always wondered what these pickups are like? Anyone who can describe them and perhaps compare them to a JB/Jazz or something more common?

I'm kinda curious about dropping a set in one of my LTD's to go with my EVH amps.

I had one for a while. The stripe series guitars have a very distinctive pickup route that will only fit the WG pickup without modification. I bought an empty Black Yellow body and rebuilt it and sourced a cream WG (from a Circles guitar) to kind of emulate the cream DiMarzio in the original Bee. It was ‘OK’ kind of half-way between a Duncan Custom and a Duncan Distortion to my ears. More gain and compression than I like these days. Ended up letting Jalen do a ‘78 / Origin wind with clear bobbins for that guitar. Huge improvement. FWIW, Jalen has Stripe Series base plates as an option for any custom pickup.

Comment

I used to have a Japanese EVH Wolfgang. My memory of them is that they were very evenly balanced with no particular frequencies jumping out at you. I also remember them being able to remain rather clear sounding under a lot of distortion. I liked them a lot.

Comment

They are Alnico 2, right?

Comment

Originally posted by PDC View Post
          I had one for a while. The stripe series guitars have a very distinctive pickup route that will only fit the WG pickup without modification. I bought an empty Black Yellow body and rebuilt it and sourced a cream WG (from a Circles guitar) to kind of emulate the cream DiMarzio in the original Bee. It was ‘OK’ kind of half-way between a Duncan Custom and a Duncan Distortion to my ears. More gain and compression than I like these days. Ended up letting Jalen do a ‘78 / Origin wind with clear bobbins for that guitar. Huge improvement. FWIW, Jalen has Stripe Series base plates as an option for any custom pickup.
          Pic? I wanna see it with clear bobbins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X