Jazz and JB2 Review :: Superstrat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz and JB2 Review :: Superstrat

Digging the Jazz neck so far. First one i’ve owned.

Great in parallel too. On cleaner setting with one or both pickups in parallel, it can sound pretty stratty, especially in the middle position.

Clean and articulate and NO flubby, mushy, overpowering bass frequencies which seems to have been the case on almost every neck HB I’ve owned.

If I had to change something, I’d say it would benefit from some more, errr, “pizzazz” or “juiciness”. In the mids perhaps? A touch more of a male vocal quality if you will.

I think a ‘59/Jazz, PAF36/Jazz or another similar Jazz hybrid would be my ultimate neck HB.

I could always try some different mags in this one too. But overall, excellent!!

As for the JB2, I usually run an UOA5’s in my JB’s. Despite thinking I would miss some highs and have to swap it out, I am still playing it with an A2. I’m plenty happy with it. I should check to see if it’s polished. If it is, an RCA2 would be even better.
    I also have an RCA4 I might try in there for S&Gs.

This is in a partscaster which is probably basswood since it’s the lightest guitar I’ve ever owned. Very resonant body. Funny how some of the cheaper guitars alive owned sound and play the best.

Nice!

That guitar body looks like Paulownia

Comment

tell me more about this JB2
      thats an A2 magnet correct

how does it compare to the A5 that is stock
      be detailed, please

gush if you like
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Man, that's a really pretty strat.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          tell me more about this JB2
          thats an A2 magnet correct

how does it compare to the A5 that is stock
          be detailed, please

gush if you like
          Fills in the lower mids, making the upper mids little less prominent. A little “squishier”/saggy, sweeter, warmer. Lowers output ever so slightly.

Quintessential hair metal to me. Look at Warren DeMartini, Jake E Lee, Alan Holdsworth just to name a few. All used JB2’s (often in conjunction with double fillister or hex screw coils).

Be sure to get both an A2 and an UOA5 to try in your JB.
          UOA5 is like a JB2 but with some retained stock A5 JB characteristics. If A5 and A2 had a baby. Being unoriented and rough cast adds in a whole ‘nother level of dynamics.

Comment

I have seen a lot of love for the JB2 out here.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I am not a JB fan, and swapped in an A2 magnet to see if I would like it better. It does change the sound, but it still wasn't something I dug. I think the JB's wind simply doesn't work for me. It might just be if you don't like the JB, a magnet swap might not change your mind.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like the JB. One of my favorite pickups. I really like the UOA5 in it, but the stock A5 is fine too. I would think that an A2 would sound more like a Custom Custom JB. But if it works for you, excellent!

Comment

I think you'll dig the 59/Jazz hybrid. I made a pair years ago and one resides in an old Roadstar - fat but clear with good overtones and dynamics.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    I like the JB. One of my favorite pickups. I really like the UOA5 in it, but the stock A5 is fine too. I would think that an A2 would sound more like a Custom Custom JB. But if it works for you, excellent!
                    Never played a CC so can’t comment on the comparison.
                    But I have gone from a stock SH-5 ceramic to an A8, and many of the same tonal changes took place as swapping in an A2 from ceramic or A5 in every other pickup I e swapped.
                    Character is mostly the same, just fatter, little less focused. But still plenty tight. Plenty. If you wanted it tighter, you could shorten the fillister screws 1/4” on the bottom 3 strings, or swap in 1/2” hex pole screws.

Also cleans up better. In parallel it’s GREAT!! I usually find split or parallel bridge pickups to be shrill icepicks, but not the case here.

Time will tell if I prefer the A2 over the UOA5, but both sound a lot better than stock polished A5 to me.

As easy and cheap as mag swaps are, I would definitely try it at least. I’m going to try an RCA4 too — I’ll report back with my thoughts. Maybe some clips.

As for the Jazz, have you guys tried any mag swaps?

Comment

My JB2 sounds like a really loud Whole Lotta Humbucker

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        My JB2 sounds like a really loud Whole Lotta Humbucker
                        I'd like to try one of those. Sounds like it's sorta similar to a PAF 36th DP223. Lot of mids, little raunchy, lot of P90 character.
                        I really liked my 36th Anniversary set in my '81 LPC, but I just always wanted more balls in the bridge, so I swapped it out with a Custom8.
                        If they were to increase output/gain by 25-30%, I'd buy another.

Comment

Working...
                        X