Adding a push/pull pot to a PRS SE 24 Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a push/pull pot to a PRS SE 24 Standard

I have a PRS SE 24 Standard: 2HB, 1 vol, 1 tone w/ a three way blade. It has a push/pull on the volume pot for coil splitting. Thinking of installing the ubiquitous JB/Jazz combo but would like to add a push pull on the tone pot for phase. Can't find a schematic for this.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Neo Fender View Post
    I have a PRS SE 24 Standard: 2HB, 1 vol, 1 tone w/ a three way blade. It has a push/pull on the volume pot for coil splitting. Thinking of installing the ubiquitous JB/Jazz combo but would like to add a push pull on the tone pot for phase. Can't find a schematic for this.

Thanks.
    I think that this would do what you're looking for:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2prail_3g_1vppspl_1tppspl-jpg.495089.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	6112561
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I think that this would do what you're looking for:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2prail_3g_1vppspl_1tppspl-jpg.495089.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	6112561
      Steve, the OP said he wanted to add a switch for Out Of Phase. That diagram you posted has nothing to do with OoP.

Neo Fender,

I don't think you're going to find one diagram that has both features you want (coilsplitting and out of phase). Instead you'll have to combine a couple diagrams into one.

First, the Out Of Phase feature:

Here's a diagram that shows how to wire up a push-pull to do OoP. There is one small correction needed to it though. The diagram has the bare wire of the pickup going to the switch - see where it says "green and bare". Don't do that. Route only the green to the switch. Wire that bare wire to the same spot in your guitar where you're grounding everything else in the guitar. You don't want to route the bare ground wire to the switch because when the switch is set where Out Of Phase is on, the baseplate of the pickup would become part of the hot signal. That would introduce noise. A bare wire should ALWAYS go to ground -that's how the noise is prevented from becoming part of the signal.

I'll post in a separate reply shortly witg a diagram you would use for coilsplitting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Neo Fender,

Regarding a diagram that shows how to do coilsplitting:

First, some questions for you:

1. Which coil of the Neck pickup do you want to be active in splitcoil mode? Outer or Inner?

2. Same question as above regarding the Bridge pickup.

3. When the two splitcoils are combined in Middle position of the 3 way switch, do you want them to be hum-canceling or no that's not important to you?

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
          Neo Fender,

1. Which coil of the Neck pickup do you want to be active in splitcoil mode? Outer or Inner?

The outer (screw) coil

2. Same question as above regarding the Bridge pickup.

The outer (screw) coil

3. When the two splitcoils are combined in Middle position of the 3 way switch, do you want them to be hum-canceling or no that's not important to you?

Yes
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
            Steve, the OP said he wanted to add a switch for Out Of Phase. That diagram you posted has nothing to do with OoP.
            Whoop. For some reason I read out of phase and my brain translated to series/parallel. My mistake!
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Whoop. For some reason I read out of phase and my brain translated to series/parallel. My mistake!
              Haha, no problem. I've had that happen to me, too.

Comment

Thank you.
                Ok, thanks.

So, a typical set of pickups is not setup for those coils to be hum-canceling when combined. For two coils to be humcanceling, one coil needs to be the opposite magnetic polarity of the other. Since you want to combine two of the same type of coil (screw), they will have the same magnetic polarity and therefore won't cancel 60 cycle hum.

If you haven't bought the new set of pups yet, then you still have the opportunity to buy a specialized set, where one of the pups is earmarked as being Reverse Wind Reverse Polarity (RWRP), which resolves this issue.

If you already acquired a set where one pup is not RWRP, you can DIY it by flipping the magnet in one pup and then swapping around which wires of that pup are connected to the 3 way switch and the push-pulls.

I'll hold off on expaining more details, until i hear back from you about whether you have bought a set of pups yet or not.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-16-2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I have not purchased any pickups.

Comment

I have not purchased any pickups.
                    Alright. So as I was hinting at in my last reply, which wiring diagram to use for the coilsplitting would differ depending on whether you had a set with a RWRP pickup or not.

If you purchase NEW pickups and neither is a RWRP, be aware that doing the DIY mag flip i described earlier voids the warranty.

I can advise further regarding the correct diagram once you let me know if you will be getting a set of pups where one pup is RWRP or you'll be getting a standard set and flipping one of the mags yourself.

Comment

I hardwired a similar mod to my Charvel San Dimas by swapping the leads on the neck ('59) pickup. The standard tone with both pickups was muddy and useless, so I was OK with this "permanent" mod. I was hoping I could modify the existing PRS to do something similar but switchable. If that is not possible, I will just leave everything as is. Thank you for your time.

Comment

I hardwired a similar mod to my Charvel San Dimas by swapping the leads on the neck ('59) pickup. The standard tone with both pickups was muddy and useless, so I was OK with this "permanent" mod. I was hoping I could modify the existing PRS to do something similar but switchable. If that is not possible, I will just leave everything as is. Thank you for your time.
                        If you got hum-canceling results in Middle Position of the 3 way switch with the coils split to Both Outers without flipping a magnet - just swapping around wires - that means that one of the pickups in that San Dimas came from the factory with the mag already flipped. That matches up to what other folks have reported here in this forum in the past, that the Seymour Duncan set that came as OEM pickups in their guitar, was yielding hum-canceling coilsplit Both Inners or Both Outers.

Comment

Just so you know, you have the alternative option of splitting one of the two pickups to the Inner coil instead.... that's another way to get a hum-canceling pair ... without having to flip a magnet or buy a specialized RWRP version of one of the two pups.

Comment

Think I found what I am looking for but I need to translate it to SD's color code: https://guitarelectronics.com/2-humb...phase/#gallery

Looks like this will do it too, except for the Tele (250K) values:
                            https://www.seymourduncan.com/images/wiring-diagrams/Tele_2H_3B_1VppSPL_1TppPH.jpg

Coil Tap and Phase are swapped compared to the above schematic and what I currently have.
                            Last edited by Neo Fender; 09-17-2021, 06:35 AM.

Comment

The SD diagram yields Neck Outer and Bridge Inner for the splitcoils. Hum-canceling: yes.

The guitarelectronics diagram yields Neck Inner and Bridge Outer for the splitcoils. Hum-canceling: yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X