Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little '78 Strat Pairings

Hi folks,

I've got a cool Strat with a maple board and traditional 3 pickup routing. I've got a couple of pick guards that I experiment different pickups in. I swap them in and out of the Strat every so often.

On a whim I bought a Little '78 from Sweetwater which should be getting here any day now. I've been looking to get another Strat (or similar) to make my VH focused guitar and keep this one more traditional(ish) a la David Gilmour (I've got a Custom SSL-5 in the bridge and 2 SSL-1 Vintage Staggered pups in the middle and neck), but if it I dig it enough maybe I can have a bit of both in a single guitar?

I guess my question is--I'm a little skeptical of "little" versions of pickups--do they REALLY sound like their "big brothers"? There's got to be some kind of compromise in tone right? How much does does the little 78 sound like the regular one, and how much does the Little JB sound like the regular JB, etc?

Also, how do you guys think the SSL-1s will sound along side the Little 78? Anything else you think would be ideal to match with it? I have a few SSL-5 laying around as well.

Thanks!
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

id guess the ssl1 would sound good with the lil78

i dont have much experience with the lil78 but ill say that none of the single coil size humbuckers ive played sound like a full size bucker. that said, ive played a bunch that sounded great

Comment

This is a good demonstration of the differences between the real JB & 59 and their smaller versions. Basically, the small ones aren’t as bright.

Comment

If it sounds 85% as close, I'm good with it. I thought the little versions at least sound 85% alike.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
          This is a good demonstration of the differences between the real JB & 59 and their smaller versions. Basically, the small ones aren’t as bright.
          Hmmm.. interesting. They sounds similar but definitely different. I think the lil 59 doesn't quite get there for me, there's just "more" there with the full 59. The lil JB fairs a lot better I think. There's still definitely a difference but it sounds really good.

I've actually never tried a regular '78 even, so who knows how it will fair. I'm sure it will sound good in it's own right whatever the case is.
          EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
            Huh, I much prefer the full HB '59. The little '59 sounds congested in comparison. JB is pretty close though, and with a ton of gain there's little difference between them..
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              If it sounds 85% as close, I'm good with it. I thought the little versions at least sound 85% alike.
              If I’d heard that comparison before I picked up the Everything Axe, I might have gone with the full-size humbuckers, but I’m happy living with it.

Comment

The Li'l '78 is the only one I haven't tried from those. Out of the other 3 Li'l or Jr. humbuckers, I feel the Li'l Screamin' Demon is closest to the full-size version.

Comment

One thing that always surprised me was that Seymour never made anything branded HOT RAIL XXL (or some other hot rail themed fullsize humbucker)
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                    One thing that always surprised me was that Seymour never made anything branded HOT RAIL XXL (or some other hot rail themed fullsize humbucker)
                    One of the guys in the screamo band Thursday had a custom shop Hot Rail humbucker in one of his guitars.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

One of the guys in the screamo band Thursday had a custom shop Hot Rail humbucker in one of his guitars.
                      Strangely enough, I spotted that on his rig diagram the other day. How do the Slug and El Diablo compare?

Comment

Working...
                      X