Alt 8 vs JB8 for metal oriented Baritone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alt 8 vs JB8 for metal oriented Baritone

I’m building a a baritone partscaster Jazzmaster copy. I’m currently trying to decide between an Alt 8 in the bridge or a JB8. I have a JB8 in the bridge of a DK2M and like it quite a bit. The guitar will be tuned to B standard. It’s an alder body guitar, with a maple neck and pau ferro fingerboard. I don’t have the guitar ready to play just yet, but I’m trying to get some opinions. The style of metal I’m going for is Melodeath (At the Gates, Carcass, etc.) What does the forum think about those choices? How does the Alt 8 compare to the JB8?

Without having played either, I will go out on a long limb and say Alt-8 simply because it's wind was designed around that magnet.

I personally don't subscribe to the notion that a baritone has a different sonic footprint, or even that the note it's being tuned to has much bearing either. (OK maybe a tiny bit on both counts)
    IMO the string-tension (determined by all the factors combined, guages,tuning, scale-length) is what has more influence on the general behavior or character of the tone.

For example, if a player is on a 24.75" scale but chooses to run an 11-54 set at E it will sound more "baritone" than using an 8-38 set at E on an actual 27" baritone guitar.

Comment

I would say that the Alt 8 is tighter in the lower register. And it sounds like a regular JB's meaner cousin. I tried a JB8 one time and didn't like it as much. It seemed to kill the upper harmonics that I loved about a JB. The Alt8 has plenty of them. Like dave74 said, it's designed around the magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        I would say that the Alt 8 is tighter in the lower register. And it sounds like a regular JB's meaner cousin. I tried a JB8 one time and didn't like it as much. It seemed to kill the upper harmonics that I loved about a JB. The Alt8 has plenty of them. Like dave74 said, it's designed around the magnet.
        Agree with this 100% and have had both in the same guitar. The Alt 8 in the right guitar is a monster!
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          I would say that the Alt 8 is tighter in the lower register.
          That’s what I was concerned about honestly. With how much lower the tuning is, I’d wanted a pickup that could handle that low end without flubbing out

Comment

The Alt 8 is certainly tighter and more 'modern' and would be my choice for a baritone that is primarily going to use a lot of distortion.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Distortion in my 7 string with the lowest string tuned to A. It doesn't flub out at all.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

How do you guys think a Nazgul/Sentient set would sound for this application? I have a black winter set in another Jackson I have, I love them, I just want to try something different

Comment

The original A8 humbucker is the Super 70

Stick a doublethick A8 in some kind of PAF-type like a 59 or a Jazz and enjoy
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I have zero Alt-8 experience / knowledge, but I do know the JB8. I feel it moves the JB towards a SuperDistortion Dort of Toine. definitely thickens the bottom, but doesn't really tighten it. I'd be worried going low with it.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I know this is sort of changing the subject of the post, but how does the Nazgul compare to the Alt 8 compare to the Black Winter? Especially in the context of a low tuned baritone

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                        The original A8 humbucker is the Super 70

Stick a doublethick A8 in some kind of PAF-type like a 59 or a Jazz and enjoy
                        Or you can run an Alt8 in parallel. Not exactly the same, but it may surprise you.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Not trying to be that guy, but most of that melodeath stuff was done with EMG 81s, and for good reason.

What amp are you using? Most anything paired with a boosted 5150/6505 will get that sound.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                          X