Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel san Dimas pickup replacement.

Hi.
    I have a charvel San. Dimas with maple alder and floyd that came in stock with the jb /59 combo. I play in a cover band and want a variety of sounds and to be able with the roll off of the volume to tame the gain in my amp. In my other guitar (American std strat) I I have a Tb59 with 250 K pots and is perfect for my needs. So I want something similar for my charvel in terms of output. The jb sounds too aggressive to me and with too much output. My question is which pickup suits well in that wood combination cause I tried the custom hybrid and didn't like it. There was no bass at all and it came up very trebly.
    My two first choices are Tb59 or alnico ii pro and last the tb11 custom custom. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!

I think a 59 or Whole Lotta Humbucker would tame the aggressiveness. The Custom Custom is another powerful pickup, but with a lot of mids, so I don't know if that will help. But the 59 and WLH are PAF-based, scooped, and can be boosted after the fact for more power. They do a ton of things really well.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd use a PATB-3/PATB-1 in the Charvel. It'll be in the same tonal neighborhood as the strat without being the same thing. It'll be a bit hotter and will have a bit more thtickness overall than the 59b, all things being equal.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Any reason why NOT to use another 59?
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Any reason why NOT to use another 59?
          My only concern is that due to the woods of the guitar alder/maple /floyd I don't want the highs to be
          ear piercing and overwhelming. That's why I asked if someone did the same in a similar guitar. For my taste the jb is way too much powerful(doesn't clean up well with the volume) and the upper midrange and Highs are too aggressive and harsh.
          Last edited by IGNATIOS; 09-19-2021, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IGNATIOS View Post

My only concern is that due to the woods of the guitar alder/maple /floyd I don't want the highs to be
            ear piercing and overwhelming. That's why I asked if someone did the same in a similar guitar. For my taste the jb is way too much powerful(doesn't clean up well with the volume) and the upper midrange and Highs are too aggressive and harsh.
            If it were all maple and solid, I might be concerned, but the alder should warm it up. If you generally dig warmer sounds, the Alnico II Pro would be a good choice.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X