banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to find out info on secondhand custom shop pickup set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to find out info on secondhand custom shop pickup set?

So there is a local to me(well same country 'local') guy selling a set of Seymour duncan custom shop pickups on Reverb.
    Im tempted to make an offer and take a complete gamble if I can get them cheap enough.
    It would be complete pot luck if they suit my current need..and probably very unlikely to me honest.. But im considering it.
    Is there any way at all to try find out 'roughly' what they may be based on. (i.e. like 'A hotter JB' or some clue like that). I have asked for the DC Ohms readings, but that wont tell me too much. Other than possibly if they are in PAF territory or if they are extremely hot, perhaps a guess at targeted genre.
    On the back of the pickups there are custom shop stickers saying 'Cohen A' on one and the other says 'Mary Sue' I assume that just refers to whom ever wound them? and gives no clue about their heritage. There also 'might' be MJ signature initials.
    I guess they would need to be real cheap for me to buy, as they are going to be difficult to resell in the event that they dont suit.

Any insights ??

Hmm.. maybe buying blind is a bad idea. Comparable to buying a pair of jeans, but the seller cant tell you the size.. haha.

Comment

Have you asked the buyer for information about them? Descriptive, rather than pure specs? Otherwise, if there’s enough information on the label, perhaps the custom shop can give you more details?

Comment

The seller states that they came in a guitar they purchased and they have no idea/history on the pickups. I have asked them more questions, but no response just yet.

Comment

The Duncan custom shop lets you name the pickup they wind for you. "Cohen A" & "Mary Sue" are the names the customer requested. The custom shop box will give more specs about the craftsman who wound them and the general specs of the pickup, such as magnet & DC resistance. The customer who bought *should* know something about it
          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

No way to now, unless you now the person who ordered them and ask. The box they came in might have some clues, but the box might be long gone. Getting a DCR reading can give an idea of relative power, but who knows what the EQ is like.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

a meter will tell you dcr and if you can get a look at the magnet there will be a sharpie mark if its alnico, blue = a2, black a5.

if they are cheap enough and the drc is ballpark of something you might like, id go for it. if you are looking for a paf and its 16k then i might pass.

Comment

If they came in a guitar, the boxes are long gone. MJ is the custom shop; I'm 98.9% sure she would have wound them (Derek or Seymour are the only other two people who could have wound them, and that's not that likely if they are from within the last 5-10 years). Your only way to find out about them now is to contact the Custom Shop and ask what the Cohen A and Mary Sue we based on or requested to sound like and what wire/magnets they have in them.

Comment

Working...
                X