Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity vs Seth Lover question

Hi! First post here)))
    Curious between the Seth Lover and Antiquity PAFs which would be the optimal choice for an archtop to get a nice mellow but well articulated sound for chord melody.
    i see a lot of jazzers swearing by the Seth Lover. I have an Antiquity sitting here, wondering should i go for it and install or get the SL?
    thanks in advance!!!
    jk
    Last edited by jazzkritter; 09-18-2021, 01:02 PM.

They're similar. The main difference I notice is the Ant has the aged covers so that makes the sound a little more rustic. Also the winds are slightly different and the Ants have degaussed magnets. You can't go wrong with either set. Just choose which flavor you want. The Seths sound a little warmer and cleaner to me (in the neck).
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Welcome! I saw your post in the other forum

If you have it sitting there I would definitely try it. It’s a great pickup. And agree with Clint that it is not that different.

If you don’t like it after trying it because of x, y or z, we can then tell you which other pickup would do whatever you need better.
      Last edited by Blille; 09-18-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Oh the other forum)))
        See i have this all maple Ibanez PM200, and have never been happy with the Silent 58 MIJ that was in it. Tried a lot of others (36th, A6, a Super 58, others) but could not get a good warm tone. I have a Fralin Modern PAF in now which i do like alot. But the majority on that other forum keep pointing to the SD SL. So id like to see whats best from the SD line. Maybe i will start with the Ant, im ok with ordering a SL though. First world problems lol.
        tnx jk

Comment

The Seth or Ant is gonna be thinner than the Fralin. He makes pretty punchy pups.

If you want to make the Fralin fatter you can put a double thick A2 in it.

The fattest Duncan is gonna be the 59 bridge.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 09-18-2021, 06:04 PM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

For traditional archtop tone, I'd go with the Antiquities, as they sound amazing for jazz. I have them in an ES335 clone. The Seths seem to excel with a hint of overdrive (pedal or tube amp).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I had a chance to play two 335s with the same wiring back to back, one with antiquities and one with Seth Lovers. Seths are slightly higher output from what I remember and the antiquities were a little cleaner. Very similar pickups. I feel like if you played around enough with the heights you could get them to sound the same.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I was going to ask the same question. My Heritage, H535 has Seth Lover pickups and they're awesome. I'm considering changing the pickups in my '99 Les Paul Standard. After reading the replies here, I'm going to save a little money and go with the Seth Lovers.
                Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                Dean: '02 Hardtail
                Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinter View Post
                  I was going to ask the same question. My Heritage, H535 has Seth Lover pickups and they're awesome. I'm considering changing the pickups in my '99 Les Paul Standard. After reading the replies here, I'm going to save a little money and go with the Seth Lovers.
                  I bet the Seths are the right choice here.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

In a Les Paul Standard, I'd recommend a Brobucker bridge / Seth neck. More versatile IME. In mine, that pair made my LP sound like Tom Johnston's ES-335.

Comment

Working...
                    X