Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hamerfan
    replied
    If you read Seymour's story about Jimi Hendrix, you will learn that Seymour took painstaking notes on all parameters of all pickups he made. I have seen commercially available forms to note very single detail of a wind. It's rather a problem of over the time available materials, that will change the product.

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied
    Originally posted by AcVox View Post
    I cannot be alone, in finding it remarkable that Duncan can maintain consistency in the tone of humbuckers they have been winding for approaching 40 yrs, whether they be Pearly Gates, or any other model with a history with the company.
    They're electronic devices built to tolerances on machines, for the most part. It would be unexpected for them to *not* be consistent.

Leave a comment:

• AcVox
    replied
    I cannot be alone, in finding it remarkable that Duncan can maintain consistency in the tone of humbuckers they have been winding for approaching 40 yrs, whether they be Pearly Gates, or any other model with a history with the company.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Yeah, I've found Pearlies to be fairly consistent across the years, at least on the top end for sure.
    Why I like them, bright yes, but smooth! That A2P magnet, and whatnot, you know...

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Interesting. The new ones are fairly bright too. Hmmmm.....
    Yeah, I've found Pearlies to be fairly consistent across the years, at least on the top end for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    My PGs are also bright when old. You can always just roll the tone off a bit. ;-)
    Interesting. The new ones are fairly bright too. Hmmmm.....

Leave a comment:

• BoogieMKII
    replied
    Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
    Made from 1988 to 1996, but chances are high that it was early in this period. Since the bobbin logos on uncovered pickups started in 1989.
    Thanks. I moved back to KY in 1988 so that seems right. I think I got the first one Willcutt Guitars had. I just replaced it with a custom build from Josh Gravelin. Will see how it compares the next few gigs.

Leave a comment:

• hamerfan
    replied
    Made from 1988 to 1996, but chances are high that it was early in this period. Since the bobbin logos on uncovered pickups started in 1989.
    Last edited by hamerfan; 09-24-2021, 03:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    My PGs are also bright when old. You can always just roll the tone off a bit. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• BoogieMKII
    replied
    And the back.

I recall it being very bright when new. Terrible in a solid state amp but good for tubes. It mellowed some with time.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BoogieMKII
    replied
    Here is the front. Will post the back as well. 4 conductor.
    Just wanting to find out the probable mfg date. From what I read here about the back, may be late 1980s.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• eclecticsynergy
    replied
    Originally posted by BoogieMKII View Post
    I have a Pearly Gates bridge pickup I bought years ago at Willcutt Guitars.niftiest recall correctly, it was one of the first available. I think it was in the early 1980s but am not sure.

AI get and upload error trying to attach photos. The sticker on the back has PGBJ.
    Yep, Imgur is the ticket for adding pics to a post here. Welcome to the forum, BTW. Glad to see another lover of the Mk II.
    I have one of the very first - Randy made it for me back in the 70s when he was still building 'em at home in the shed.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied
    OMG - it has a J on it!!!! It is pure magic wound by the virgin hands of MJ herself and blessed by the baby Jesus to have purely righteous tone! No other JB's were wound with the same materials, specs and care as this one!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    Use imgur.com to host your pics, then post them here using the "img" code they provide

Are you trying to determine the approximate production age of your pickup? Definitely need pics for that.

The "PGBJ" type labeling was standard from '82/'83 up through the early '90s if it's ink-stamped. If it's a computer-printed label, it's even newer.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    not sure when they rolled out the pg but its a great pup for sure

Leave a comment:

Working...
X