Old Pearly Gates Bridge Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Pearly Gates Bridge Pickup

I have a Pearly Gates bridge pickup I bought years ago at Willcutt Guitars.niftiest recall correctly, it was one of the first available. I think it was in the early 1980s but am not sure.

AI get and upload error trying to attach photos. The sticker on the back has PGBJ.

Cool story. Is there a question about that one?

Comment

not sure when they rolled out the pg but its a great pup for sure

Comment

Use imgur.com to host your pics, then post them here using the "img" code they provide

Are you trying to determine the approximate production age of your pickup? Definitely need pics for that.

The "PGBJ" type labeling was standard from '82/'83 up through the early '90s if it's ink-stamped. If it's a computer-printed label, it's even newer.

Comment

OMG - it has a J on it!!!! It is pure magic wound by the virgin hands of MJ herself and blessed by the baby Jesus to have purely righteous tone! No other JB's were wound with the same materials, specs and care as this one!!!!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by BoogieMKII View Post
            I have a Pearly Gates bridge pickup I bought years ago at Willcutt Guitars.niftiest recall correctly, it was one of the first available. I think it was in the early 1980s but am not sure.

AI get and upload error trying to attach photos. The sticker on the back has PGBJ.
            Yep, Imgur is the ticket for adding pics to a post here. Welcome to the forum, BTW. Glad to see another lover of the Mk II.
            I have one of the very first - Randy made it for me back in the 70s when he was still building 'em at home in the shed.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Here is the front. Will post the back as well. 4 conductor.
              Just wanting to find out the probable mfg date. From what I read here about the back, may be late 1980s.
              Attached Files

Comment

And the back.

I recall it being very bright when new. Terrible in a solid state amp but good for tubes. It mellowed some with time.
                Attached Files

Comment

My PGs are also bright when old. You can always just roll the tone off a bit. ;-)

Comment

Made from 1988 to 1996, but chances are high that it was early in this period. Since the bobbin logos on uncovered pickups started in 1989.
                    Last edited by hamerfan; 09-24-2021, 03:43 AM.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                      Made from 1988 to 1996, but chances are high that it was early in this period. Since the bobbin logos on uncovered pickups started in 1989.
                      Thanks. I moved back to KY in 1988 so that seems right. I think I got the first one Willcutt Guitars had. I just replaced it with a custom build from Josh Gravelin. Will see how it compares the next few gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        My PGs are also bright when old. You can always just roll the tone off a bit. ;-)
                        Interesting. The new ones are fairly bright too. Hmmmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Interesting. The new ones are fairly bright too. Hmmmm.....
                          Yeah, I've found Pearlies to be fairly consistent across the years, at least on the top end for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Yeah, I've found Pearlies to be fairly consistent across the years, at least on the top end for sure.
                            Why I like them, bright yes, but smooth! That A2P magnet, and whatnot, you know...

Comment

I cannot be alone, in finding it remarkable that Duncan can maintain consistency in the tone of humbuckers they have been winding for approaching 40 yrs, whether they be Pearly Gates, or any other model with a history with the company.

Comment

Working...
                              X