About EMG-81, 85 pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About EMG-81, 85 pickups...

I have a LP studio plus desert burst guitar. i'm wondering if it's worth changing the pickups (490r, 498t) to EMG-ZW set or two EMG-81's. I like the tone but i want more metal out of it, (but still want to keep a nice blues tone too. Also, why are the bridge pickups up so high on my les paul??? should i lower it?
    thanks guys.
    Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus Desert Burst
    Ibanez RG770DX
    Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
    Long live ROCK.

Re: About EMG-81, 85 pickups...

passive ones? hmmm. what are the differences between active pickups and passive pickups??? and what are some nice blues/rock pickups? haha i'm new to electrics...
    Ibanez RG770DX
    Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
    Long live ROCK.

Comment

Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz or JB/59......

I'm sure others will chime in with their favorits soon.

EMG actives rock, but I don't know how good they'd be for blues.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

if you wnat metal look no fruther than the jb/59 combo u can nail metal with that and blues and everything else in between.
        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

If you're gonna get emg's then get actives, particularily the ZW set. Otherwise get some trusty duncans.

Comment

Originally posted by presa_tito
            If you're gonna get emg's then get actives, particularily the ZW set. Otherwise get some trusty duncans.
            I did that and loved them at first, ended up hating them. They are gone now.

Love the trusty '59/Distortion set or the Jazz/JB set, can't beat either

Comment

Are EMG passives any good? I mean, actives are there bread and butter, so to speak.
              Ibanez RG1570: stock
              Squier Strat: stock

Next on the list: an amp that isn't crap!

Comment

ooooo i'm looking into the jb/59 combo now... anyone know how much it would cost to get these installed?
                Ibanez RG770DX
                Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
                Long live ROCK.

Comment

The EMG passives aren't that great... they're DECENT, and you can "rock" with them, but they definitely do not compare to a Duncan!!

for pup pricing and installation, you're probably looking at $200 for the pups from a store, and maybe another $30-50 for installation... damn labour ripoffs...
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

i think passive emg's are not a very good design.They ARE not bad pickups but i think you can find something much better in the duncan or dimarzio range.If you want emg try their active ones.....they smoke....

Comment

I'll word this the best i can.

This is a really good link on how guitar pickups work. How Stuff Works
                      That is an explanation of a PASSIVE guitar pickup. The signal is sent to a preamp where it's adjusted (bass, middle, treble knobs etc. on your amp). Then it's powered by a power amp.

The difference between passive pickups and active pickups is that active pickups actually have a build in preamp and are powered usually with a 9v battery. It's like having a built in boost pedal. (active pickups have EXTREMELY high output) As a result, they're very voiced. In an active pickup they can adjust it's tone/e.q. to almost exactly how they want it. Passive pickups are organic, meaning the sound of the guitar when it's unplugged comes through when it's amplified. Different wood types sound different when the guitar is unplugged. Using passive pickups, you have to shape your tone by your guitars wood type, etc. With active pickups, it doesn't really matter because they have such a voice of their own, they sound mostly the same in almost any wood.

Idk about passive EMGs, but to me it doesn't sound like a very good idea.
                      If your going to use this guitar for ALL metal, then EMGs might be your route. But since they're so high output etc., they SUCK for blues. If you want more versatality, ALWAYS go passive.

hope that helps
                      -cory

Comment

so duncan JB/59' combo would sound a LOT better than the gibson stock pickups?
                        Ibanez RG770DX
                        Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
                        Long live ROCK.

Comment

Yes very much so, the jb is a good shredder pick up and the 59 is a nice neck pick up, but that depnds on you what you consider better,
                          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

ohhhh alright thanks for your help you guys i'll be getting JB/59 on my les paul soon.
                            and then it's time to ROCK!
                            Ibanez RG770DX
                            Takamine EAN10C Acoustic
                            Long live ROCK.

Comment

Working...
                            X