WIRING 2 P90s in Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIRING 2 P90s in Series

A few weeks back I helped a friend by putting ugraded P90s in his 1 vol 1 tone arcchtop. Actually they were fairly budget priced Iron gear platinum 90s but they sounded better in in that particular guitar.than the original Harvey Benton Rosswells .

Also fitted 2 CTS 500k push pulls to give OOP and Series. I wired this in my usual way whereby the series option works when the 3 way is in the neck position and there is a kill switch in the bridge position .

Friend is very happy except does not like the kill switch bit and wants me to "by pass this". Not quite sure how to do this or even if it's possible but recollect reading somewhere (possibly on this forum ) ,that there is a wiring which gives Series from a Push Pull no matter where te 3 way is. Or am I remembering incorrectly.?

Any ideas?

So just to be clear.

1. Twin P90s or P90-a-like, basically single coils.
    2. No coil splits or coil taps.
    3. A 3-way toggle (Gibson style) toggle switch, not a Fender style blade.
    4. With the basic toggle you want bridge only, bridge + neck parallel, neck only, i.e. the normal options.
    5. You also want both pickups in series, no dead spots on the switch.
    6. You want to be able to phase flip one pickup. I guess it doesn't matter which or does it? You want to be able to do this pickups in parallel and pickups in series.
    7. I presume push-pulls in push positions = normal operation (parallel, not phase flipped).

Souldn't be too difficult....

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
      A few weeks back I helped a friend by putting ugraded P90s in his 1 vol 1 tone arcchtop. Actually they were fairly budget priced Iron gear platinum 90s but they sounded better in in that particular guitar.than the original Harvey Benton Rosswells .

Also fitted 2 CTS 500k push pulls to give OOP and Series. I wired this in my usual way whereby the series option works when the 3 way is in the neck position and there is a kill switch in the bridge position .

Friend is very happy except does not like the kill switch bit and wants me to "by pass this". Not quite sure how to do this or even if it's possible but recollect reading somewhere (possibly on this forum ) ,that there is a wiring which gives Series from a Push Pull no matter where te 3 way is. Or am I remembering incorrectly.?

Any ideas?
      Hey Gstring, longtime, no talk. I left more recent some replies for you at your thread about splittng a humbucker that is wired In Parallel that i don't think you've seen yet.

Yes, this wiring makes it so it doesn't matter how the 3 way toggle is set when the push-pull is set to In Series mode.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

^If that works just put a phase flip push pull between the bridge pickup and the series/parallel.

Comment

Dang, he should give the kill switch some time. It's not just for buzzsaw effects. You can do some really cool stuff with clean tones and a kill switch - wash it out, add delay, etc.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

That appears to be the kiddy . Tried to work it out myself but mind maybe not as sharp as it was . Terrific prompt response. Many thanks . Some very cool people here.

Comment

Hi Jack
              Not a great internet user these days. Did some more experiments with variable coil taps including a variation of the spin a split with a variable resistor (the actual 500k pot) on one coil.when in parallel. Later rewired this to be an actual proper volume control that again only works on the one coil when pup in parallel. This is on the bridge and "vol control" only gets plumbed when you pull up coil cut PP and simultaneously cuts neck pup. Of course bridge pup has also to be in parallel. Unaffected if still in Series. Really liked this idea and its now part of a Jimmy Page type wiring on my guiar You can dial in the quack when neck cut to inner coil and bridge in parallel. Whole diagram looks a bit messsy with Artie's coil swap and OOP but I kinda like all the options . Of course triple shots are the way most people go these days but I'm kinda old fashioned . Meant going down to single master tone control on the guitar but I kinda like that to.

Must visit the forum more often.
              Last edited by Gstring; 09-22-2021, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X