Warmoth Build: HSS Configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth Build: HSS Configuration

Last Saturday the Classic Stack Plus neck and middle pickups arrived for my Warmoth build. I'm retooling it for use with the Worship band. I decided to move the Whole Lotta Humbucker from the neck to the bridge and I'm glad I did. It's got a lot of punch for a neck pickup but it still sounds sweet with 250K pots. If you like the '59 but want a little more, the WLH is the answer. The wiring is simple with 1 volume, 1 master tone / .022uf cap, and a 5-way blade switch. No splitting in 2 or 4. And honestly, there's no need to unless I had a Custom Custom in the bridge, then I'd consider splitting the bridge and middle in pos. 4.

The last time I had a set of Classic Stack Plus pickups they were in a Fender American Standard Strat but they didn't really shine there. Fender SCNs sounded much better in that guitar. However, the CS+ sounds incredible in this guitar. All the SRV, Hendrix, and quack I can muster from it. And then from the bridge pickup, it's a big, full sound. This guitar has wicked sustain naturally so you can imagine how the pickups add to that. I feel I've got a really solid all-around setup with this one.

Side note: The middle CS+ pickup needs to be wired with the black to hot and the white to ground. Even though the instructions and diagrams show white as hot, positions 2 and 4 will be out of phase if you wire it that way. There was a thread about this back in '06. I commented on that over the weekend. Apparently they are still being wired the same as they were then, at least mine was. Thankfully it's as easy as swapping the wires.

Warmoth Strat 2019 by Erik Hansen, on Flickr

looks great! and im not surprised you like the cs+ neck and middle with the wlhn in the bridge, cool setup!

Comment

I love the CS+ in an HSS setup. That is one cool guitar!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

$$
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

It is a lot like my Warmoth HSS Strat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0265.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	6114311
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's a sweet build. I'm not one for flame tops but that is a pretty flame right there.

I'm playing with the height of the CS+ a bit but I think I have it in the sweet spot. Great balance with the WLH neck too. One of these days I'll get some recordings done.

Comment

Working...
            X