Wiring diagram for 3 tone, 1 vol, 5-way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring diagram for 3 tone, 1 vol, 5-way switch

Hey all. Currently building a guitar and going to use 3 humbuckers, 3 tone, 1 volume, and a 5 way switch. I'm fairly new to guitar wiring, so I've been trying to use diagrams, but I can't find anything very helpful for my situation. If anyone can help me out with this that will be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm open to any other suggestions such as doing 3 volume and 1 tone or whatever. Someone on another site suggested 3 tone and 1 volume but with more research it appears that is probably unnecessary.
    Last edited by Ajonymous; 09-26-2021, 08:01 PM.

What kind of switch? Strat style or something else?

Comment

3V 1T is more common with 3H

I can't picture 3T being useful.

Comment

Yeah after some research I learned that. Are there any good wiring diagrams for that?

Comment

What do you want the 5 ways switch to do? I think orpheo has built guitars like that.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Typical wiring so neck, neck+mid, mid, mid+bridge, bridge

EDIT: At least as far as I know that's typical

Comment

I helped design a 3v 1t for someone else on this forum a little over a year ago. Will try to find it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Could not find it after a alot of searching.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

You want coil splits?

3 volumes 1 tone seems easy enough (famous last words...).

Comment

I have a couple push/pull pots to use so sure. I was going to do something with them but wasn't sure what to do but coil splits would be good.

Comment

I still can't upload an image...

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                        I still can't upload an image...
                        is imgur an option?

Comment

Linkey:

HHH Strat Type W 5-Way Switch Reverse Coil Split Middle 3 Volumes 1 Tone | Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum (strat-talk.com)

It's drawn for three independent volumes, optional coil splits and the middle pickup coil split splitting to the south coil, rather than the north so you should get hum canceling in P-2 and P4 in conjunction with coil split bridge or neck as appropriate.

The key things about independent volumes are to wire the "ins" to the middle lug, the "outs' to the left lug - when looking at the bottom of the pot, and to ground the right lug. Also no volume pot to volume pot grounds, ground all the volume pots "star formation" back to the tone pots, don't "daisy chain" them.
                          Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 09-28-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

There's a boo-boo in my diagram.

The green wire on the middle pickup I've shown going round the top of the push-pull to ground should be the white wire.

Red goes to the volume pot, black and green to the push-pull, white to ground.

There's an alternative way too that I think my overcome any phasing issues. I'll draw that up tomorrow.
                            Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 09-28-2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Revised

HHH Strat Type W 5-Way Switch Reverse Coil Split Middle 3 Volumes 1 Tone Rev B | Fender Stratocaster Guitar Forum (strat-talk.com)

Comment

Working...
                              X