banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you tried the ILITCH or ULBRICK noise reduction systems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you tried the ILITCH or ULBRICK noise reduction systems?

I wonder if any of you has used it and what kind of pickups and how it worked for you. I noticed that a critical step is to properly select the model depending on what kind of pickups you have. I would love to try it for some SSL-1s and Quarter Pounds too in an HSS guitar.
    Who took my guitar?

I have used the Ilitch with SSL1, SSL1, SSL5 combo. It cuts most of the noise but not all of it. I can tell you from personal experience that, if you run into any issues, Ilitch is a royal pain in the @$$ to deal with. i ended up ripping it out and putting in Classic Stack Plus & Vintage Hot
    Stack.
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

I've used an active Music Man 'Silent Circuit' dummy coil system, and man, it completely eliminates noise, with no real downside (other than using a battery).
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
        I wonder if any of you has used it and what kind of pickups and how it worked for you. I noticed that a critical step is to properly select the model depending on what kind of pickups you have. I would love to try it for some SSL-1s and Quarter Pounds too in an HSS guitar.
        Agreed: to be efficient, this recipe requires a proper matching between pickups and air coil.That's why I wind my own Ilitch coils.

In a totally logical way, the noise also tends to vary according to the position of the guitar relatively to the noise source.

Furthermore, it works better with Fender style PU's: I've got good results with standard Strat PU's and a Bare Knuckle model equivalent to the SSL5. No experience with any SSL4 + wide air coil but I intuitiively feel it should work. For P90's with their wide noisy coils, conversely, the air coil needed has already enough turns to alter the tone...

Last but not least, routing the host guitar around the pickups is the best way to place such air coils for an optimal noise reduction, so it's more adapted to instruments with wide pickguards and/or backplates.

All that being said on the basis of my own experience, perception and opinion. YMMV.

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
        X