No announcement yet.

Does the PAF PRO sound like a real PAF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the PAF PRO sound like a real PAF?

Does the PAF PRO sound like a real PAF? or is it more suited to heavier types of music?
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Does the PAF PRO sound like a real PAF?

I have never tried a PAF Pro. But, here's something to consider. The original PAF's were built with different magnets and different number of windings. The quality control we have the days where one pup sounds exactly like another of the same model. But back then, there was no quality control. They got it wound, but no always the same number of winds. Some of those coils on a PAF had differnt windings, mismatched coils is what they call them. In fact, the Burstbuckers that Gibson cranks out intentially have mismatched coils.

So, my point is this. The PAF Pro is likely to sound like some PAF that they tried to model it on. I'm assuming this, or they probably wouldn't be calling it a "PAF".

PAFs are suited for all types of music. Check out the Seth Lovers, the 59's and the Antiquities if you want some PAF tones.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Dills
      Does the PAF PRO sound like a real PAF? or is it more suited to heavier types of music?
      I actually have my American Strat loaded with two PAF Pros... one in the bridge and one in the neck. They've got a very cool PAF vibe but with a bit more prescence and cut than you'd get from a vintage pickup. I like it because it's stuck right in between that modern, high-power sound thats got a lot of prescence and harmonics and that cool vintage sweetness, with a round bottom end.

Joe Satriani uses a PAF Pro for his neck humbucker and early Steve Vai used nothing but PAF Pros for everything up to Passion and Warfare. I'd say it's a lot like a JB with more mids, a tad smoother top and a more compressed feel.

I have a JB/Jazz set in my OTHER strat and the two guitars complement each other really well.

Comment

couldnt agree more with b2d
        i also have a paf pro in the neck of my jackson and it does have a somehwat modern and vintage tone. plus that slight 'aw' tone as everyone describes it.
        thru high gain that pup can sing and seldom gets muddy unless u screw up ur EQ.
        1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
        1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
        Jackson KVX10: X2N
        1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
        Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
        http://fusionken.blogspot.com
        http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by I_M_Ken
          couldnt agree more with b2d
          i also have a paf pro in the neck of my jackson and it does have a somehwat modern and vintage tone. plus that slight 'aw' tone as everyone describes it.
          thru high gain that pup can sing and seldom gets muddy unless u screw up ur EQ.
          To me it's more like the pearly gates, except maybe not quite as open as the the PG, I can kinda see the mid comment taking one towards the JB side. Don't know, maybe it's just my perception. Plus I never messed with a JB that much, I think I must be the only person that doesn't particular care for that model on the average. Output wise I never did a side by side with the PG and the Paf Pro. FWIW.
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

It's got a slight Paf-ish (open) vibe, but it's not very near the real PAF sound. It doesn't have the warmth, yet more piercing highs and harmonics. It's also got a little bit of bite and agression, which totally suprised me! I can get cool modern-ish George Lynch sounds with it (think Wicked Sensation and Will Play for food albums), but also the older Savatage sounds (Edge of Thorns).
            Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
            Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
            Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
            Marshall 2x12 Vintage
            Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
              early Steve Vai used nothing but PAF Pros for everything up to Passion and Warfare..
              I thought he used an X2N for quite some time in his early years.

Comment

I had one in my RG and it is a very transparent,open meduim output pup.
                it has a glass like sheen and is very clear, unbelievable clarity.
                it is hot enough to drive the amp but for me it did not have enough meat or beef in the tone. i tried a EQ and it helped i may even go back to the pro's if i have no luck finding something else.
                as far as it sounding like a real paf? NO,it has some of the real ones characteristics but is a bit more modern, it has a real cool vocal AW sound and a screaming treble that is not harsh, definitely worth checkin into

Comment

B2D's description is pretty much dead on. Great pickup IMO for what it does.

Comment

My ears tell me: ''No''.

I used two of them for a long time, in mid 90s, and installing a PGn felt like coming home.

B
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I thought he (Vai) used an X2N for quite some time in his early years.
                      I've heard X2N, and PAF Pro 2, which eventually was the pickup in the JEM guitars, until years later when they replaced it with the Evolution.

Not the PAF Pro. Ah, whatever.....

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I thought he used an X2N for quite some time in his early years.
                        yeah when he played a fender strat back with zappa he used a X2N then went to a dimarzio SD then PAF pros,then EVO's, then breeds,

Comment

I bought a set of these a few months back now, played on em like em but then thought i wanted something else and put them away for a rainy day
                          well i HAD TO put them back in my one ibanez just to fill the holes
                          (i sold the set that was in there(tonezone/super II)
                          I still like these and if i had to pick one thing i would change it would be the wah in the middle tone the leads have. if i could dial that out these would be what i would use.
                          they are NU PAF not exactly like the old ones,but touch on that flavor(REAL TRANSPARENT,OPEN AND LOWER OUTPUT)

I am going to try a duncan blues trembucker just to finally hear one and compare

Comment

dimarzio makes a pup called the paf, or atleast did. the paf pro was a more modern or tweaked take on that.
                            i dont think it sounds like a paf at all. its a good tone for those that like it, cuts thru very well. doesnt sound like a paf to me

Comment

My buddy plays professionally and he plays a H-S-S Strat with Dimarzio Blue Velvet single coils and a PAF Pro in the bridge. He says he can nail vintage strat tones and with the humbucker, emulate the girthy bridge sound in a Les Paul Custom. Sounds killer to these ears
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X