banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Love for the Box-Stock Duncan Custom???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the OP: When you mention Mag Swapping and Box-Stock, I get the impression that you feel most people mod this pickup?

1. It comes in three flavors "Out of the box". Custom (Ceramic), Custom Custom (A2) and Custom-5 (A5).
    - It seems to me you love the C5, not the Custom!

2. The C5, with a UOA5 or whatever, is a slightly tweaked version of the C5.
    - But C5 or leaked, it is VERY different from the Custom

3. The CC is often twiddled with for tighter bass or more highs
    - Especially in all mahogany LP styles
    - It is amazing in a Floyded Superstrat and left "as is" or Box-Stock as you say
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

As Jeremy said, the Custom is one of those pups which sound great (not just good) with any magnet. Just depends on the guitar and the sound you want. I've tried all of the stock "out of the box" magnet versions (A2, A5, ceramic) and with UOA5, roughcastA5, A8, A4 (can't remember if I tried A3), in several different types of guitars. They all sounded great in every guitar. I personally just don't get along with the "shrill"/"brittle"/"sizzle"/"thin"/"superbright"/"whatever" top end. The A5 was about as bright as I can use.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Question for the OP: When you mention Mag Swapping and Box-Stock, I get the impression that you feel most people mod this pickup?

1. It comes in three flavors "Out of the box". Custom (Ceramic), Custom Custom (A2) and Custom-5 (A5).
        - It seems to me you love the C5, not the Custom!

2. The C5, with a UOA5 or whatever, is a slightly tweaked version of the C5.
        - But C5 or leaked, it is VERY different from the Custom

3. The CC is often twiddled with for tighter bass or more highs
        - Especially in all mahogany LP styles
        - It is amazing in a Floyded Superstrat and left "as is" or Box-Stock as you say
        I hear a noticeable difference between the polished A5 mag in the C5 and a rough cast, Unoriented A5 with the Custom wind. I rolled the polished A5, the rough unoriented A5, and the original Ceramic through my TB-5. All sounded good - but sounded better or worse in different guitars depending on body wood and bridge. I really dig the ceramic mag in my roasted swamp ash strat. It’s really light weight and with a 2-point, non-locking Trem, it can sound a little ‘soft’ depending on what pickup you have in it. The ceramic custom lifts this guitar to a whole new level.

Comment

Yes, ash can be a very soft and warm sounding wood and could definitely benefit by a pup/magnet combination that can brighten the tone and add some sharpness to the attack. Ceramic certainly does that.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Fantastic pickup, sounds great for the types of rock tones I use.

Comment

Originally posted by PDC View Post

I hear a noticeable difference between the polished A5 mag in the C5 and a rough cast, Unoriented A5 with the Custom wind. I rolled the polished A5, the rough unoriented A5, and the original Ceramic through my TB-5. All sounded good - but sounded better or worse in different guitars depending on body wood and bridge. I really dig the ceramic mag in my roasted swamp ash strat. It’s really light weight and with a 2-point, non-locking Trem, it can sound a little ‘soft’ depending on what pickup you have in it. The ceramic custom lifts this guitar to a whole new level.
              A5 and UA5 are really entirely different animals in my book, regardless of polished vs rough.
              The Custom loves 'em all though. Super versatile wind.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Wanted to add that the Custom with an A3 can be wonderful too. Great bluesy classic rock tone.
                Steps the output down a bit more, almost into hot-PAF territory: vintage-plus-ish. And it still sings.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

It was way too hard and bright in my ash RG Hardtail. I put an a2 in it to solve that. I could see it being great in mahogany. Similar to super distortion.

Comment

I love both the Custom and the Custom Custom. Custom 8 is too much and has a grating mids thing, and I've never tried the Custom 5. I understand the complaint about brightness in the stock Custom, but that's exactly why I use my tone knob, plus I like that brightness to be available for clean tones. Stock Custom is great.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                      I love both the Custom and the Custom Custom. Custom 8 is too much and has a grating mids thing, and I've never tried the Custom 5. I understand the complaint about brightness in the stock Custom, but that's exactly why I use my tone knob, plus I like that brightness to be available for clean tones. Stock Custom is great.
                      I'd say the Custom 5 is as bright as the regular Custom, but the 5 has no mids at all.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I'd say the Custom 5 is as bright as the regular Custom, but the 5 has no mids at all.
                        Yep, Custom 5 = scoooooooped mids.

Comment

I would love to try a Custom in my Floyded Jackson. But not enough to pull the Crunch Lab that's already in it.

Comment

This thread inspired me last week to replace the PATB-1 in the bridge of my Les Paul with a stock Custom, and it reminded me what a wonderful pickup it is in that guitar.

Comment

I put a SH5 in the bridge of my Ibanez RG, replacing an EMG passive. Huge improvment ! The DiMarzio Super Distortion was always my go to , but I decided to give the Custom a try. I think I've found my new go to !

Comment

Working...
                              X