pearly gates bright?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pearly gates bright?

i just bought a fender telecaster fmt hh 2 humbuckers,neck 59' bridge pearly gates body is mahogany fretboard rosewood.and the pg to me is bright.59 is nice has a thick sound i like when i go to the bridge just doesnt has balls ive adjusted the pickup height doesnt help.plus when i put it in the middle pos still sounds thin to me.what would be a better fit for me?ive seen ppl talk about custom custom i dont know anything about that

The PGb has a spike in the upper mids, but isn't really any brighter than the other Duncan PAF class pickups like the 59 l, APHb, or Seth Lover.

In other words, if you think the PGb is bright, I'd stay away from all the other Duncan PAF's in the bridge.

The CC is darker than the PGb, and is also louder. It's one of my favorite pickups, but it IS a very specific tone.

What tones are you chasing with this guitar?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The PG sounds pretty bright to me, although in mahogany, it might be OK. If you are looking at more balls in the bridge, you might just need a higher output. A 59/Custom Hybrid might work well here. A Custom Custom is a thicker, higher output pickup, but the Hybrid has about the same EQ as the 59 you have.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thick?

Get an A2P Bass, Mids, not too much treble and smooth
        In middle position, it will add mids to the 59 neck

Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

the aph1b is warmer than the pgb for sure but the output is about the same. the cc is warm and fuller sounding and might be more to your liking if you want a smooth bridge tone

Comment

CC would do it. Whole Lotta Humbucker or JB/A2 would also be stellar in a mahogany tele to solve the stated problems. Even a Slash bridge would remedy some of the problems.

Comment

I put an Alnico6 into my PGB. It sounds fine now in a HSS strat.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                JB/A2 would also be stellar in a mahogany tele to solve the stated problems.
                JBA2....I think THIS is the answer!

But raise the A2P, lower the 59. All good.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you don't want something hotter and the sole issue is the bridge being too bright, consider wiring the tone control to affect bridge pickup only, rather than both. Bridge-only tone wiring is a common and simple mod for singlecoil Teles; it'd be just as useful on an HH model.

I'd say it's worth a try. PG bridge is a great pickup and you might be perfectly happy with it if you can take some of the the edge off without darkening your neck tone too.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

i have a few guitars that only have three controls. i usually wire them up neck volume, bridge volume, bridge tone and once you get used to it, its very functional allowing lots of great tones

Comment

If you search the internet, there is quite a lot of info that says the "Custom Telecaster FMT HH" is fitted with the Pearly gates PLUS (PG+). Fender PG+ is not the same as the Pearly gates you buy from Duncan, because the Fender OE version has Alnico 5 magnet and a hotter wind.

My first suggestion is to raise the bridge pickup closer to the strings for a hotter tone fuller mids.

Comment

I think the Fender PG+ is out of phase with most Duncans, so it gets along well with other Fenders.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by mapletop1 View Post
                          i just bought a fender telecaster fmt hh 2 humbuckers,neck 59' bridge pearly gates body is mahogany fretboard rosewood.and the pg to me is bright.59 is nice has a thick sound i like when i go to the bridge just doesnt has balls ive adjusted the pickup height doesnt help.plus when i put it in the middle pos still sounds thin to me.what would be a better fit for me?ive seen ppl talk about custom custom i dont know anything about that
                          If you wanna go the custom shop route then try the brobucker. It may be great in that FMT telecaster. If not, try the alnico 2 pro or the custom custom.
                          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I think the Fender PG+ is out of phase with most Duncans, so it gets along well with other Fenders.
                            Yup. I have two PG+ pickups. Both are OOP with my Duncans.

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post

If you wanna go the custom shop route then try the brobucker. It may be great in that FMT telecaster. If not, try the alnico 2 pro or the custom custom.
                              If we're going custom shop, I'd get a S Deco V. *Fantastic* sounding pickup.
                              Last edited by Benjy_26; 10-14-2021, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X