Popular Pickup That You Hate / Hated Pickup That You Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blille View Post

57s are hated? I always thought they're well respected.
    I hate them but I love the 498T

| Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

Comment

I hate the Jazz and '59 in the neck. Plinky, underpowered, and kinda generic. At least that has been my experience combining them with anything JB-output-level or hotter.

Don't really like the Custom either. Way too much bloated boomy low-end.

I really like Gibson pickups in general. The 498T and the 500T are killer.

Comment

While I don't like the Jazz, I found it was a perfect pickup in a very mid-heavy poplar guitar I own. The high end and lack of mids and bass is just what the guitar needed. In the bridge, I use a Custom 5, which also wouldn't be a pickup I would normally use, but it works here.
        Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Gibson 498T has sounded fantastic every time I’ve played one, regardless of the guitar or individual pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
            Popular Pickup(s) That I Hate: any EMG and DiMarzio products; from the Duncans I tried, the Pegasus and the Distortion don't get much love around here either;
            Then you are missing out. DM has its own character no SD can substitute for.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
              Gibson 498T has sounded fantastic every time I’ve played one, regardless of the guitar or individual pickup.
              Agreed!

Then you are missing out. DM has its own character no SD can substitute for.
              Agreed again!

DiMarzio has some very innovative designs. Duncan has nailed classic guitar tones with many straightforward designs, but made with high-quality parts and attention to detail.
              Dimarzio seems to be more experimental. We guitarists are generally Luddites, so these tweaks don't necessary give us the "mojo" we want, but they do create new voices and tones that we might not otherwise get

(sorry, painting with a broad brush here, but that's just my opinion)
              Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6/ 490R A4
              Gibson SG special, GFS Mini/ Gibson Rhythm mini
              Strat SSS, STK-6 /SSL6 /SSL1
              Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap sparkle middle/neck
              Tele, DMZ Area Hot T / Gibson Mini A3
              Tele, DMZ Transition A6 / Gibson Mini A3
              Jackson V, SD Pegasus A9 / Gibson 490R A5
              JEM hardtail, DMZ Evo2 A8 / DMZ Fred
              PRS SE CU24: SD Pearly Gates A6 / Seth Lover A4

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                I would recommend A2, A3, UOA5, A5, or A6.
                A6 is my favorite bridge position magnet!

I wish it were more common in production pickups. The SD Bonamassa Amos pickups are the only production pickups I know of that used A6, and they were a limited run
                Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6/ 490R A4
                Gibson SG special, GFS Mini/ Gibson Rhythm mini
                Strat SSS, STK-6 /SSL6 /SSL1
                Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap sparkle middle/neck
                Tele, DMZ Area Hot T / Gibson Mini A3
                Tele, DMZ Transition A6 / Gibson Mini A3
                Jackson V, SD Pegasus A9 / Gibson 490R A5
                JEM hardtail, DMZ Evo2 A8 / DMZ Fred
                PRS SE CU24: SD Pearly Gates A6 / Seth Lover A4

Comment

I can't really say there is anything that i hate.

Ones that i like that others bash are:
                  dimazio/ibz bridge - its similar to a super 3, but about as strong as a norton or breed. That is a very good thing IMO

full shred - they are bright, but get them closer to the strings and they fatten up. Also, adding some bass at the amp males all the difference. I love these in my mahogany rg

Lace sensors - yep, they arent like regular single coils. you love em or hate em.

Dimarzios in general and breeds in particular. I love that certain midrange thing they all have going on compared to other winders. That signature sound. It works for me.

The breeds are a fixer pickup and should be treated as such. They are menat to warm up a super strat, and they do that. putting them in a les paul is not wise. Since i installed these in my rg921, it has become a top 2 player.

Comment

Tele: Antiquities, Vintage, Stacked, Jerry Donahue Strat: Antiquities, Vintage P90s: Antiquities, Vintage, PhatCats Humbuckers: PRails, JB, 59, Pearly Gates, Custom 5, Antiquities, Dimebucker (used with pickups that are Alnico magnets to shake it up a bit)

Comment

Hate: EMGs (except the retroactives) and Dimarzio (except the Super D and stacked singles). I get that a lot of people like them, and a lot of musicians I like use them, but they just don't work for me.

Hated that I like: stock Screamin Demon, 57 Classic+

Others have brought up the 498T, I like it, just not when combined with a 490R. I can never get my Amp EQed in a way that both pickups sound good. Same problem with the Wide Range "reissues"
                      sigpic
                      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

People love the Super Distortion, and I just can't bond with it. I can't exactly place my finger on it, but it just didn't work for me, and on paper, it should be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                          A6 is my favorite bridge position magnet!

I wish it were more common in production pickups. The SD Bonamassa Amos pickups are the only production pickups I know of that used A6, and they were a limited run
                          It's a really stellar magnet. The fact that it isn't used in production or even by most mag swappers is silly. It performs equally as well as the ubiquitous A5 but adds some soft low mids and has the top very slightly rounded. I was able to get A6 in my Fralin minis as a stock option.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 10-15-2021, 01:57 PM.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Hate: the JB. It manages to somehow be loose in the bottom while having very little bottom. No idea how they pulled off that feat, but it's everything I don't want in a pickup.
                            Love: Carvin M22SD. Best high output bridge pickup ever. Well balanced with enough bottom to have punch, but still tight; enough top end to have detail, but not shrill; mids are present, but not honky; enough output to push an amp, not enough to turn to noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                              Hate: the JB. It manages to somehow be loose in the bottom while having very little bottom. No idea how they pulled off that feat, but it's everything I don't want in a pickup.
                              Love: Carvin M22SD. Best high output bridge pickup ever. Well balanced with enough bottom to have punch, but still tight; enough top end to have detail, but not shrill; mids are present, but not honky; enough output to push an amp, not enough to turn to noise.
                              This is exactly why I didnt love the JB. Dont hate it, but it's why I replaced it.
                              Last edited by gsammo79; 10-15-2021, 05:48 PM.
                              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

While not hated pickups, these are rarely discussed or recommended and I've had good experiences with all three:
                                Screamin Demon, Full Shred Neck, Sentient

Comment

Working...
                                X