Popular Pickup That You Hate / Hated Pickup That You Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    It's a really stellar magnet. The fact that it isn't used in production or even by most mag swappers is silly. It performs equally as well as the ubiquitous A5 but adds some soft low mids and has the top very slightly rounded. I was able to get A6 in my Fralin minis as a stock option.
    Can you describe the difference between A6 and A8 in pickups like Custom and JB? Haven't tried A6 yet, but I've tried A8 in both and I really it a lot: makes the Custom sound a bit more mellow compared with the ceramic and I really like how it changes the EQ of the JB without altering its voice.

Comment

A6 would be a step down in aggression compared to A8. A6 compares the most to A5. It doesn't have the metallic, middy, slightly synthetic aggression that the A8 has. It's basically A5 with soft low mids and very slightly rounded top compared to A5. In the neck it can be bouncy and slightly scoopy like A5 but with a tad more character. In the bridge it softens things up a bit compared to A5, but it doesn't get chewy like the UOs or synthetic and aggressive like A8. I have an A6 in my Ant JB in my Mustang and I like it. Here's a lil tone clip I did a while ago.

https://soundcloud.com/clint-jones-278219447/ant-jb
      Last edited by Clint 55; 10-15-2021, 11:10 PM.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

That's the word, synthetic, thanks! I just couldn't name it myself but you nailed it. Thing is, for me the A8 still tops the A5 in the bridge for some reason. In the neck it's A5 ftw, but as bridge pickups it's A2, A8 or ceramic.

Comment

I hate terms like "organic" and "synthetic" being used to describe how pickups sound.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Popular pickup that I can't vibe with: the Jazz neck. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either and I'll swap it out when I have the cash.

Hated pickup that I love: the Nazgul seems to inspire a lot of polarizing opinions. It might not be hated, but people have strong feelings against it, maybe due to the upper-mid spike. Whatever the case, I fricking love the Naz. Got a unique character and grind all its own under gain. Chugs are effortless, and it cuts through for lead work too. Yeah, it does one thing only, but it does it really, really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              I hate terms like "organic" and "synthetic" being used to describe how pickups sound.
              There are no other words to accurately describe the quality.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

Then you are missing out. DM has its own character no SD can substitute for.
                Tried a bunch, hated them all. Don't feel like I'm missing out much.
                Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), Epiphone Les Paul Special (SP90-1 set), PRS SE CU 24 Flametop (TB5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set) & S761FM (TB16/STK-S7 m&n), Jackson DK2 (TB10/VRn/CRn), LTD MH-1000HS (TB15/Lil59n), ST213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE212 (Hot Stack/A2Pn), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:L6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, Mission Engineering EP1-L6;Shure GLX-D16;

Comment

But that's my point. They don't accurately describe anything soundwise to me.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
                    Can you describe the difference between A6 and A8 in pickups like Custom and JB? Haven't tried A6 yet, but I've tried A8 in both and I really it a lot: makes the Custom sound a bit more mellow compared with the ceramic and I really like how it changes the EQ of the JB without altering its voice.
                    Just think of an A5 that is not mid scooped (and actually has a bit of a low-mid bump), and tighter bass

It has the treble bite of a ceramic or A5, but nevertheless sounds dark overall because of the how thicccc the mids are
                    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6/ 490R A4
                    Gibson SG special, GFS Mini/ Gibson Rhythm mini
                    Strat SSS, STK-6 /SSL6 /SSL1
                    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap sparkle middle/neck
                    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T / Gibson Mini A3
                    Tele, DMZ Transition A6 / Gibson Mini A3
                    Jackson V, SD Pegasus A9 / Gibson 490R A5
                    JEM hardtail, DMZ Evo2 A8 / DMZ Fred
                    PRS SE CU24: SD Pearly Gates A6 / Seth Lover A4

Comment

Hate is a strong word, but I don't much care for the JB, and I'm not a fan of the Jazz neck either. I do like both of them with an A2 magnet swap however.
                      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

'07 Epiphone Les Paul plus top: Custom, APH2N(Slash)
                      '03 Jackson RR5: Super Distortion ,Jazz
                      '03 Warmoth Explorer build: Distortion, 59/A2
                      '07 Squier Affinity Strat: JB/A2, stock middle, DP401 neck
                      '05 Epiphone '58 Korina Explorer: Custom, Jazz
                      '16 Epiphone ES-339 P90 Pro: stock
                      '17 Epiphone Les Paul plus top Pro: Slash set

Comment

I love the Alt-8.... There I said it.

Comment

Although I agree, I like the word sterile, or wide open, or tight, or sluggish, sometimes middy, or sludgy, harsh, or brittle.

Comment

Me too. It doesn't bug me to be forced to describe tone abstractly.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

I always found most words that describe sound inadequate.
                              Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

SH14 Custom 5

thats the only one I cant gel with in any of guitars.

Comment

Working...
                                X