No announcement yet.

Popular Pickup That You Hate / Hated Pickup That You Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal JB and normal 59n are not great for me. I really dig the Dimebucker for non-metal applications.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
      Normal JB and normal 59n are not great for me. I really dig the Dimebucker for non-metal applications.
      I want to try this combo in a screw on neck superstrat with a Floyd before I write it off.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        I want to try this combo in a screw on neck superstrat with a Floyd before I write it off.

Which combo? The Dime?

Comment

Which combo? The Dime?
          No, stock 59n with JB. But 4 conductor pups into a 5 way switch with push/pulls on the volume and tone.

Comment

No, stock 59n with JB. But 4 conductor pups into a 5 way switch with push/pulls on the volume and tone.

Oh. Well, I hope you like it. For me, that's a cursed combo.

Comment

Oh. Well, I hope you like it. For me, that's a cursed combo.
              Well, you know what's said about one person's poison.

Comment

Well, you know what's said about one person's poison.

Indeed.

Comment

I truly like my Jazz necks; which do not seem to get a lot of love around here. I cannot say there is anything I am using for what I play, which I do not like.
                  I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Dimebucker was specifically designed for his full-mahogany neck/body short-scale with the rosewood board and loose tension strings.

On the old Duncan website it was highly recommended for guitars with basswood bodies and rosewood boards, and after trying mine in several hosts over the years I strongly agree.

It really needs the combing effect on the highs that basswood can contribute, otherwise it can indeed get shrill in a hurry, especially with a floyd as intended.

Comment

Stag Mag. Bought it. Sold it. Bought it. Sold it. Bought it. Sold it. Love the concept, but I just never got it to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        Stag Mag. Bought it. Sold it. Bought it. Sold it. Bought it. Sold it. Love the concept, but I just never got it to work for me.
                        If you were trying it for the bridge, look into the Rio Grande Muy Grande.

It's got a very good single coil tone and in full series mode it is THICCCCCC....

Comment

It's got a very good single coil tone and in full series mode it is THICCCCCC....
                          Sounds interesting... how's the treble bite?

I love THICC tones, but I also need need need that bit of bite on the top end. That's why I've become such a big fan of A6 and A9 magnet swaps – I need that treble ZING that an A5 gives you, but I hate scooping the mids out, because I'm down with the thiccness
                          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post

Sounds interesting... how's the treble bite?

I love THICC tones, but I also need need need that bit of bite on the top end. That's why I've become such a big fan of A6 and A9 magnet swaps – I need that treble ZING that an A5 gives you, but I hate scooping the mids out, because I'm down with the thiccness
                            It still bites pretty hard. IDK if it's the top end or the very high upper mids, but pinch harmonics jump out of this thing and it has plenty of grind through a Marshall style amp. The bottom end is also tighter than, say, a JB, which is in the same ballpark as far as resistance, goes. It could be the wind, or the alnico poles, but it's an interesting pickup for sure.

Comment

So . . . what would you put this in? LP, SG, Strat, other: ______________

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

So . . . what would you put this in? LP, SG, Strat, other: ______________
                                I've had it in a MIM strat that I converted to HSS. It kept up with the tone and output of the ceramic MIM pickups (which I really like for rock) REALLY well. I had it set up to auto split on pos 4 with 250k pots. One tone pot was assigned to the bridge, one to the neck, and the middle was wide open.

I also had it in a Squier Mustang HH shortly paired with an APHn and two 500k pots. Again, it was a good tonal pairing and had enough output to kick the front end of my Marshall pretty hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X