Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popular Pickup That You Hate / Hated Pickup That You Love

Hey folks!

Just for the sake of discussion, what's a popular pickup that you just can't stand?
    Your choice should be something that fits with the genres you play and enjoy, i.e., don't say "I hate EMGs because I only play da bluez"
    Also, what's a pickup with a bad rep that you actually really enjoy?

I'll say that I can't seem to get the sounds I like out of a Seth Lover neck. I currently have it in my PRS SE, and its... pretty good. That's the best I've been able to do with it. I've tried it in waaay to many guitars now, with way too many magnet types (currently I've settled on an A4), but despite TRYING to love it, I've never plugged it in and said "yep! There it is!"

On the other hand, the Gibson 490R seems to take a lot of flack on forums, and I actually quite like it. I like it stock, as well as with the other mags I've tried in it. I actually put one in my main axe, my LP gold top, currently with an A5 in it.

What about the rest of you?
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

I am not a JB or Jazz fan, but I get why people like them. Oh, and the Gibson 490 set is the most personality-less I've ever tried. The one I love is either an Alnico II Pro neck, or a Classic Stack.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

All of mine are vintage-voiced PAFs. Seth Lover, 57 Classic, Dimarzio's VPAF series, whatever came stock in my Epi LP back in the day. I like how they sound - recordings are nice - but not how they play. Same goes for the 85/15s in my PRS SE; great sound listening back, but not fun/expressive enough in the moment to keep me satisfied.

The switch broke on my PRS SE so I used the opportunity to audition a JB/Jazz set. The JB is really intriguing-clean it's round, open, smooth top end, a bit of bite; dirty it definitely sings for leads. Feels good to play.
      Last edited by alex1fly; 10-13-2021, 10:02 AM.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I love all sorts of extreme metal, but EMGs are just not my cup of tea (though I have them for the sake of versatility). On the other hand, I do love me some JB and Nazgûl.

Comment

I would actually buy a Tacoma if I were in the market. Short cab, short bed, put some speakers and seats in the bed to make it a party truck.

I'm not much a fan of Fords new Rangers though, they went from being a good, cheap pickup to being just another tier of F150.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The JB I don't get along with anymore. I did way back but after trying others, discovered it's not for me even though my music taste is right in with others that would use the JB first and foremost. The one I love is the Screamin' Demon. I know some don't care for it but it works for me in many cases.

Comment

The 490T is my winner for lousy & useless. Stinks like beer ***ts.

EMG 81: not the Nickelback of guitar pups necessarily but gets it's fair share of hate. I like it a lot.
              Last edited by gsammo79; 10-13-2021, 10:24 AM.
              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Jazz neck is not my thing. I just really like an A2 in the neck. Took my a while to figure it out.

Comment

The 498t has never quite done it for me. But the again, it’s not exactly loved by everyone anyway. I think it sounds like an emaciated JB. I could see it being good for certain applications, and I’d probably like it in a Fender.

Comment

Popular Pickup(s) That I Hate: any EMG and DiMarzio products; from the Duncans I tried, the Pegasus and the Distortion don't get much love around here either;

Hated Pickup(s) That I Love: the Gibson '57 Classic + set in my 2011 LP Trad (it's my only axe without Duncans).
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Hate - Dimebucker
                      Hated but Loved - EMG 81

Comment

Box stock JB/ Screamin Demon, Dimebucker
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Disliked but I love..
                          Burstbucker 3 in the bridge

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                            Popular Pickup(s) That I Hate: any EMG and DiMarzio products; from the Duncans I tried, the Pegasus and the Distortion don't get much love around here either;

Hated Pickup(s) That I Love: the Gibson '57 Classic + set in my 2011 LP Trad (it's my only axe without Duncans).
                            57s are hated? I always thought they're well respected.

Comment

Hate is too strong a word, but I'm not a huge fan of the Custom Custom. But then, in the right application, it can be perfect.
                              I'm not too fond of the cheap Asian stock pickups with a low wind and a ceramic magnet. But if you put in an ALNICO magnet, sometimes you can get a usable result.

Comment

Working...
                              X