No announcement yet.

Popular Pickup That You Hate / Hated Pickup That You Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I don't like the Jazz, I found it was a perfect pickup in a very mid-heavy poplar guitar I own. The high end and lack of mids and bass is just what the guitar needed. In the bridge, I use a Custom 5, which also wouldn't be a pickup I would normally use, but it works here.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Gibson 498T has sounded fantastic every time I’ve played one, regardless of the guitar or individual pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
        Popular Pickup(s) That I Hate: any EMG and DiMarzio products; from the Duncans I tried, the Pegasus and the Distortion don't get much love around here either;
        Then you are missing out. DM has its own character no SD can substitute for.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
          Gibson 498T has sounded fantastic every time I’ve played one, regardless of the guitar or individual pickup.
          Agreed!

Then you are missing out. DM has its own character no SD can substitute for.
          Agreed again!

DiMarzio has some very innovative designs. Duncan has nailed classic guitar tones with many straightforward designs, but made with high-quality parts and attention to detail.
          Dimarzio seems to be more experimental. We guitarists are generally Luddites, so these tweaks don't necessary give us the "mojo" we want, but they do create new voices and tones that we might not otherwise get

(sorry, painting with a broad brush here, but that's just my opinion)
          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            I would recommend A2, A3, UOA5, A5, or A6.
            A6 is my favorite bridge position magnet!

I wish it were more common in production pickups. The SD Bonamassa Amos pickups are the only production pickups I know of that used A6, and they were a limited run
            Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
            Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
            Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
            Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
            Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
            Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
            Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
            Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
            Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
            PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I can't really say there is anything that i hate.

Ones that i like that others bash are:
              dimazio/ibz bridge - its similar to a super 3, but about as strong as a norton or breed. That is a very good thing IMO

full shred - they are bright, but get them closer to the strings and they fatten up. Also, adding some bass at the amp males all the difference. I love these in my mahogany rg

Lace sensors - yep, they arent like regular single coils. you love em or hate em.

Dimarzios in general and breeds in particular. I love that certain midrange thing they all have going on compared to other winders. That signature sound. It works for me.

The breeds are a fixer pickup and should be treated as such. They are menat to warm up a super strat, and they do that. putting them in a les paul is not wise. Since i installed these in my rg921, it has become a top 2 player.

Comment

Tele: Antiquities, Vintage, Stacked, Jerry Donahue Strat: Antiquities, Vintage P90s: Antiquities, Vintage, PhatCats Humbuckers: PRails, JB, 59, Pearly Gates, Custom 5, Antiquities, Dimebucker (used with pickups that are Alnico magnets to shake it up a bit)

Comment

Hate: EMGs (except the retroactives) and Dimarzio (except the Super D and stacked singles). I get that a lot of people like them, and a lot of musicians I like use them, but they just don't work for me.

Hated that I like: stock Screamin Demon, 57 Classic+

Others have brought up the 498T, I like it, just not when combined with a 490R. I can never get my Amp EQed in a way that both pickups sound good. Same problem with the Wide Range "reissues"
                  sigpic
                  Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

People love the Super Distortion, and I just can't bond with it. I can't exactly place my finger on it, but it just didn't work for me, and on paper, it should be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                      A6 is my favorite bridge position magnet!

I wish it were more common in production pickups. The SD Bonamassa Amos pickups are the only production pickups I know of that used A6, and they were a limited run
                      It's a really stellar magnet. The fact that it isn't used in production or even by most mag swappers is silly. It performs equally as well as the ubiquitous A5 but adds some soft low mids and has the top very slightly rounded. I was able to get A6 in my Fralin minis as a stock option.
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 10-15-2021, 01:57 PM.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Hate: the JB. It manages to somehow be loose in the bottom while having very little bottom. No idea how they pulled off that feat, but it's everything I don't want in a pickup.
                        Love: Carvin M22SD. Best high output bridge pickup ever. Well balanced with enough bottom to have punch, but still tight; enough top end to have detail, but not shrill; mids are present, but not honky; enough output to push an amp, not enough to turn to noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                          Hate: the JB. It manages to somehow be loose in the bottom while having very little bottom. No idea how they pulled off that feat, but it's everything I don't want in a pickup.
                          Love: Carvin M22SD. Best high output bridge pickup ever. Well balanced with enough bottom to have punch, but still tight; enough top end to have detail, but not shrill; mids are present, but not honky; enough output to push an amp, not enough to turn to noise.
                          This is exactly why I didnt love the JB. Dont hate it, but it's why I replaced it.
                          Last edited by gsammo79; 10-15-2021, 05:48 PM.
                          Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

While not hated pickups, these are rarely discussed or recommended and I've had good experiences with all three:
                            Screamin Demon, Full Shred Neck, Sentient

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                              It's a really stellar magnet. The fact that it isn't used in production or even by most mag swappers is silly. It performs equally as well as the ubiquitous A5 but adds some soft low mids and has the top very slightly rounded. I was able to get A6 in my Fralin minis as a stock option.
                              Can you describe the difference between A6 and A8 in pickups like Custom and JB? Haven't tried A6 yet, but I've tried A8 in both and I really it a lot: makes the Custom sound a bit more mellow compared with the ceramic and I really like how it changes the EQ of the JB without altering its voice.

Comment

A6 would be a step down in aggression compared to A8. A6 compares the most to A5. It doesn't have the metallic, middy, slightly synthetic aggression that the A8 has. It's basically A5 with soft low mids and very slightly rounded top compared to A5. In the neck it can be bouncy and slightly scoopy like A5 but with a tad more character. In the bridge it softens things up a bit compared to A5, but it doesn't get chewy like the UOs or synthetic and aggressive like A8. I have an A6 in my Ant JB in my Mustang and I like it. Here's a lil tone clip I did a while ago.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
                                Last edited by Clint 55; 10-15-2021, 11:10 PM.
                                The things that you wanted
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X