No announcement yet.

Popular Pickup That You Hate / Hated Pickup That You Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the word, synthetic, thanks! I just couldn't name it myself but you nailed it. Thing is, for me the A8 still tops the A5 in the bridge for some reason. In the neck it's A5 ftw, but as bridge pickups it's A2, A8 or ceramic.

Comment

I hate terms like "organic" and "synthetic" being used to describe how pickups sound.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Popular pickup that I can't vibe with: the Jazz neck. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either and I'll swap it out when I have the cash.

Hated pickup that I love: the Nazgul seems to inspire a lot of polarizing opinions. It might not be hated, but people have strong feelings against it, maybe due to the upper-mid spike. Whatever the case, I fricking love the Naz. Got a unique character and grind all its own under gain. Chugs are effortless, and it cuts through for lead work too. Yeah, it does one thing only, but it does it really, really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          I hate terms like "organic" and "synthetic" being used to describe how pickups sound.
          There are no other words to accurately describe the quality.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

Then you are missing out. DM has its own character no SD can substitute for.
            Tried a bunch, hated them all. Don't feel like I'm missing out much.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

But that's my point. They don't accurately describe anything soundwise to me.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
                Can you describe the difference between A6 and A8 in pickups like Custom and JB? Haven't tried A6 yet, but I've tried A8 in both and I really it a lot: makes the Custom sound a bit more mellow compared with the ceramic and I really like how it changes the EQ of the JB without altering its voice.
                Just think of an A5 that is not mid scooped (and actually has a bit of a low-mid bump), and tighter bass

It has the treble bite of a ceramic or A5, but nevertheless sounds dark overall because of the how thicccc the mids are
                Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Hate is a strong word, but I don't much care for the JB, and I'm not a fan of the Jazz neck either. I do like both of them with an A2 magnet swap however.
                  "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

I love the Alt-8.... There I said it.
                    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Although I agree, I like the word sterile, or wide open, or tight, or sluggish, sometimes middy, or sludgy, harsh, or brittle.
                      https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Me too. It doesn't bug me to be forced to describe tone abstractly.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

I always found most words that describe sound inadequate.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

SH14 Custom 5

thats the only one I cant gel with in any of guitars.

Comment

Hate - Dimebucker. Ive tried it in two different guitars, and its horrible in both. I'm truely sorry I bought that one. Thin, shrill, and icepicky like nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                I always found most words that describe sound inadequate.
                                yea... my lady friend came to a guitar shop with me and was completely thrown off by a convo she witnessed between a tech and a picky customer trying to describe what he was going for

"I want a big bottom end that stays tight and aggressive, with muscular, fat mids that don't honk and that leave enough space for airy highs that aren't spiky or ice picky, but breathe enough to give it a truly open, crisp chime, something something mojo mojo"
                                Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                                Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                                Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                                Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                                Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                                Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                                Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                                Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                                Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                                PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Working...
                                X