Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

So . . . what would you put this in? LP, SG, Strat, other: ______________
    Rio doesn't really give a lot of info as far as build on their page, but the one I have has larger than average alnico V, flat poles, is wound in the mid 16k range (basically two 8k strat pickups glued together), and has a fiber bottom and brown tort overlay on a fiber top bobbin. They make a "Tallboy" version aimed at the neck that has smaller poles and is wound around 14k. I had one about 15 years ago and remember it being good, but not great.

I may try it in my Epi LP at some point. I have an Alnico IV Phat Cat/Stock Phat Cat in therr thay sounds good, but the neck PC is overpowering the bridge unit a bit.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
      I also had it in a Squier Mustang HH shortly paired with an APHn and two 500k pots.
      Ok. I have a white Squier Strat sitting here waiting as a project. I might give that a try. That is, when I get a spare moment.

Comment

Ok. I have a white Squier Strat sitting here waiting as a project. I might give that a try. That is, when I get a spare moment.
        If you have loud-ish singles in the neck and mid, the Muy Grande will blend well. I think Rio's singles are wound in the 6-7k range, so a bit louder than traditional strat pickups, but inline with a slightly hotter SSL-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
          If you have loud-ish singles in the neck and mid, the Muy Grande will blend well.
          Right now, it has a set of the Duncan Designed Hot Rails. (HR-101's I think.) Great pups, but I want to try something else.

Comment

Right now, it has a set of the Duncan Designed Hot Rails. (HR-101's I think.) Great pups, but I want to try something else.
            Depending on what you're playing, the old MIM steel pole, ceramic mag singles are really nice. I've also been digging the Tex Mex set a lot lately. Both have been somewhat maligned in the past, but they fit their niche well, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by STLMTLHD79 View Post
              I can never get into the Custom or Custom 5 for some reason. Just pretty plain sounding to my ears with no real character

A pickup I LOVE in the right guitar is the Screamin' Demon, a very "controversial" pickup it seems.
              I love the Demon, but I love the Custom more. In an LP into a Marshall, it's the sound of hard rock. I've never felt the desire to try an A5 in the Custom, so no comment on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

I love the Demon, but I love the Custom more. In an LP into a Marshall, it's the sound of hard rock. I've never felt the desire to try an A5 in the Custom, so no comment on that one.
                I do love my Custom too! Especially into my Marshall I sold and the Marshall-esque amp I have today.
                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Another pickup that I like that many people seem to hate on is the Phat Cat Neck. I don't find it dark at all. I love how it matches with chunky A5 PAF-types in the bridge like the '59 or the WLH.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-07-2022, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    Another pickup that I like that many people seem to hate on is the Phat Cat Neck. I don't find it dark at all. I love how it matches with chunky A5 PAF-types in the bridge like the '59 or the WLH.
                    Hi Rex, How was your experience with the WLH? Which guitar did you end up putting it in?

I wasn't a fan of WLH. For me it had too much intensity in the upper mids and top end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post

Hi Rex, How was your experience with the WLH? Which guitar did you end up putting it in?

I wasn't a fan of WLH. For me it had too much intensity in the upper mids and top end.

It was in a PRS SE Nick Catanese singlecut. It was nice, but yeah, definitely bright.

Many people describe that pickup as fat. It wasn't all that fat for me. It definitely had some snarl to it. I found the '59B fatter in the lows, and a bit airier too. I actually prefer the '59B overall.

Comment

• I forgot, I had a GFS Dream 180, paired with a Duncan Designed Hot Rails, in an import Tele. That was such a sweet pairing, I may bring her back.

I don't recall ever meeting a Duncan Designed that I didn't like. Sometimes, I think they sound better than their USA counterpart.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          I forgot, I had a GFS Dream 180, paired with a Duncan Designed Hot Rails, in an import Tele. That was such a sweet pairing, I may bring her back.

I don't recall ever meeting a Duncan Designed that I didn't like. Sometimes, I think they sound better than their USA counterpart.
                          and for their part, while GFS can be hit or miss, their hits hit HARD, especially considering their low price tag
                          Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                          Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                          Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                          Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                          Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                          Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                          Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                          Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                          Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                          PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

• I remembered another one: Phat Cats. I clearly don't "hate" them. But I was underwhelmed. GFS Dream 90's took their place. I DO hate saying that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              I remembered another one: Phat Cats. I clearly don't "hate" them. But I was underwhelmed. GFS Dream 90's took their place. I DO hate saying that.
                              I've heard from a few people that the Phat Cat's leave something to be desired. The neck too muddy and the bridge too bright? I figured the P-Rails would be a better shout for single coil sized p-90s from Duncan.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

• Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I've heard from a few people that the Phat Cat's leave something to be desired. The neck too muddy and the bridge too bright? I figured the P-Rails would be a better shout for single coil sized p-90s from Duncan.
                                I think that if Seymour had wound the neck to about 7.5k, it would be a much more popular set. I have a pair of them in my LP for straight up jazz sounds with flat wounds and alnico IV mags in the neck. It works well, but the neck is still a little too hot for the bridge as it is. I may try Alnico III in the neck and Alnico V or VIII in the bridge to get the tones and outputs to match up better.

Comment

Working...
                                X