HSS players: How do you split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS players: How do you split?

Which knob do you prefer to replace for the push-pull switch when splitting the bridge?

Bridge/middle tone pot.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Master volume and tone with push-pull on the volume.

Comment

Push/pull for hotter humbuckers and auto-split off of a standard oak grigsby 5 way for PAF class pickups.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I like either an S1 switch in the volume knob, or to auto split. Push/pulls with Strat knobs are difficult to grab.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I started out fitting push-pulls thus:

Volume - add neck to bridge, and by extension enable all three pickups in parallel
            Middle tone - phase invert the middle pickup
            Second (bridge) tone - coil split the bridge.

My logic here was that the functions controlled by the push-pulls mimicked the order of the pickups.

After fitting push-pulls, then figuring out I for one, couldn't get a decent enough grip on Strat shaped knobs to pull on them, I switched to push-pushes.

I eventually wired my HSS strat with an auto coil split in P2, and wired the second tone pot as a blender for the neck. The push-push remains to phase flip the middle, however.

On my SSS Strat the first (middle) tone phase flips the middle and the second tone is wired as a blender as well.

On my HH Strat I wired it for two independent volumes and a master tone. I used a 5-way Superswitch to give auto coil splits in P2 and P4. So far I've left P3 as both humbuckers, both coils, in parallel. I might have a tinker and change the second tone pot to be a push-push for a series / parallel in P3. Haven't decided on that yet and haven't designed the wiring for that either, however.

Comment

In a HSS setup, auto-split with the middle single-coil or no split at all.
              I have a HH Strat setup with a single volume control and single mini switch to split them both.

Comment

i almost never put a p/p for the volume knob. i use the volume all the time so dont want anything on that knob that i might accidentally flip. the first p/p always goes on the 2nd tone knob. if i want another it goes on the 1st tone knob. frequently if im doing that much switching, ill use a master volume, a on/on/on switch where the 1st tone should be, and a master p/p tone in the 2nd spot.

Comment

Mini toggle.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I just auto split. I don't have much use for a split bridge only tone.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I use super tiny fingernail-actuated slide switches installed near the pickup selector.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                        Mini toggle.
                        +1000
                        This is the best way IMHO

Comment

Spin-o-split. Gives you skanks as well as clank.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I like either an S1 switch in the volume knob, or to auto split. Push/pulls with Strat knobs are difficult to grab.
                            I used knurled metal knobs as I thought they looked cooler than trad stat ones.

...Turns out a lot more comfortable to use too.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Bridge/middle tone pot.
                              This is the correct answer. :P
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X