The Invader vs X2N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Invader vs X2N

Which in your opinion is the better pickup for down tuned metal chugging?
    Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 10-15-2021, 02:50 PM.

Invader. The X2N is weird, it's got a ton of output but it's also super-bright and comes across really transparent to the point of being "thin" with how it hits an amp.

Comment

X2N. Invader gets super farty and mushy.

Comment

Totally depends on the guitar's qualities IMO.

I find both of these pickups to "need" the right guitar.

Invader is great in a crisp/bright/snappy type guitar. Maple/Alder/Ebony is where it shines, but any maple-based neck-thru with an ebony board should be a good fit.

X2N works best in something with a warmer softer nature, like is often the case with basswood or mahogany bodied bolt-ons that have no maple-tops. It likes rosewood boards better IMO.

For downtuned chug I would generally say X2N in the right guitar is better, but an Invader done right can work too if the string setup isn't both huge and loose at the same time.

D'activator-X is a good sub for guitars that like Invaders, and a Distortion is a good sub for a guitar that likes the X2N.

Comment

Personally, I would choose something else entirely - but since I have experience with both, I'll weigh in.

I owned a Les Paul for many years with 3 X2N's installed. It wasn't capable of anything close to a delicate or subtle sound. It was basically a diesel engine on wide open throttle all the time - completely obnoxious and overpowering. You could barely use the Kahler that was installed because any significant reduction in string tension welded the strings to the magnets. It's strength was metal power chords that filled nearly the whole sound spectrum - best used in a trio. It would walk all over a second guitar or a keyboard.

Invaders were closer to civilized. They had some definition, but I wasn't crazy about the top end - they seemed brittle to me in the trebles. They were still rock only pickups, less capable of subtlety but could still sing if played correctly. The magnetic pull was still too strong in my opinion - not suitable for vibrato action, but fine for hardtails played aggressively. I was glad I tried them out for awhile, but never again.
          Last edited by ICTGoober; 10-15-2021, 10:24 PM.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'll agree that the X2N isn't subtle. But then, it wasn't designed to be. It worked well enough for Chuck Schuldner.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Either one will work, depending on how well you adjust your amp, the X2N is a wailing ***** and does super well for leads.
              the invader is dark and chugs very well.

To me the choice would solely be based on if you were playing leads or just rhythm.
              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                Either one will work, depending on how well you adjust your amp, the X2N is a wailing ***** and does super well for leads.
                the invader is dark and chugs very well.

To me the choice would solely be based on if you were playing leads or just rhythm.
                You can chug with a D-Activator n neck pickup and switch to the X2N for leads if you adjust the amp correctly. And the two together give a great clean sound with the volume rolled back.

Comment

The SLUG kills both of them!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    48K DCR w/ double ceramic. Can I get it unpotted?

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

48K DCR w/ double ceramic. Can I get it unpotted?
                      lol

with a magnetic metal cover, hovering on top like a bell. XD

(like the P90s in my Epi. Sounded astonishing all clean, but squealed like a pig with even moderate gain. Filled it up with silicone... that complex treble was gone though :/ )

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Oh great....thanks Mincer!
                        Another pickup I have to buy and try out!

How does it compare sonically to the 14?
                        Also why is more expensive than most of the others?
                        https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

first off, for down-tuned chug fest, I wouldn't choose either of them.

First choices: EMG/Blackouts/Active
                          Next: Distortion/Black Winters/D-activators

I am down with Dave74's assessment. LOVE the X2N. Have a friend with an Invader in a maple neck Strat. Awesome....

But - between the two...

I'll go X2N. it's the more even voiced of the two, IMO. But it is an obnoxiously loud pickup. Maybe not SLUG levels....but still.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post

Oh great....thanks Mincer!
                            Another pickup I have to buy and try out!

How does it compare sonically to the 14?
                            Also why is more expensive than most of the others?
                            It is more of everything (including price) because it is a Custom Shop pickup. It really is the ultimate doom/fuzz pickup.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I guess the other thing with these types of hbs is you can back them off from the strings quite a bit and they'll still sound fine.

Hm, it would be interesting to know what the D-Activator X neck model is like in the bridge, having been designed as a lower output variant of this type of hb.
                              Originally posted by dominus
                              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                              X