Independent Volume Controls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent Volume Controls?

I have a S/S/H guitar with active pickups that I would like to wire the Middle/Neck to one 50K pot and the Bridge to a 25K pot. I am using an import 5-way switch and I can't eliminate the interaction between the two volumes. They are wired like a Jazz Bass and I have read that is supposed to eliminate interaction between the volumes but there's still interaction. Supposedly you can eliminate interaction with active pickups but EMG doesn't have any of their old diagrams available. What do I need to change in this wiring scheme?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	165
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	6120579

Try this (use it as reference for yours). Notice how the output to the jack comes off the switch and not the volume controls. That's the key, just like in a Les Paul.

Comment

I'm not sure that will work because the American 5-way switch has two common poles. The import switch I have has only one common pole. Although the bridge output pole would be free. So, I'm not sure where the N/M output would go?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	147
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	6120593

Comment

I think you might need a different switch.

Comment

Notice on the link I shared the bridge pickup is wired directly to its volume pot and then the pot goes to the switch, same side that the common to the output jack.

The neck/middle are wired to the switch and then that side of the switch's common goes to their volume pot.

Also in that diagram, it actually shows 2 tone controls but if you will have one, wire it off the common going to the output jack.

Ignore all the treble bleed and tone pot wiring for now to keep it simple.

Comment

I cut the Gordian Knot. I just wired a parallel 50k resistor to ground at the switch. The humbucker sees 25K and the singles see 50K.

Comment

Working...
            X