Pickups and Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups and Strings

Are there certain pickups that you only use one brand of strings with?

For me I prefer Ernie Ball strings with Duncan and EMG pickups. And with any DiMarzio I just use D 'Addario. Through my rig it just sounds better that way. I have tried different gauge Ernie Ball strings with DiMarzio, but the tone just isn't the same to me.

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
    I use genuine gut strings with passives, and razor wire with actives.
    Tried razor wire barbed wire yet?

Comment

Actually, I never thought of that. Duncans and D'Addarios for me.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

No. I'm loyal to one brand of strings no matter what guitar or pickup. The variety of metals from D'Addario covers my needs.

Comment

I can't say that I've ever noticed that a pickup is string sensitive. My usual strings are GHS Nickel Rockers, but in a pinch, I'll use whatever, and I can't say there's been a huge difference.

Comment

I will match strings to the music I'm doing, but not specifically pickup brands or models. To a degree, maybe it's true because I'll use certain guitars for certain songs, but I've never analyzed it down to 'I'm going to use this brand and gauge of strings with this brand and model of pickup.'

Comment

Not in the sense of brand, but I use Pure Nickels with single Coils and longer scale guitars (Strat) and nickel plated with humbuckers and shorter scale guitar (Les Pauls).
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I started using only Ernie Ball strings for nearly 50 years. In the past 15 years I've tried Gibson Pure Nickel, Fender, Earthwood, D'Adario, DR, GHS, and Dunlop. Every GHS set I tried sounded bright and strong but the strings or the winding around the ball end broke (especially their "Boomers"). Dunlops have been my go-to strings for most of the past 15 years because they are consistent and great quality.

That being said...
                It seems like some of you choose strings with tone quality to compensate for your poor choice of pickups, choosing bright strings because your pickups are dull, or choosing dull strings because your pups are too bright. If anything, I choose strings that compliment the tone of my pickups...bright strings to enhance the natural characteristics of single coils; pure nickel strings to enhance that great Les Paul tone.

If my guitar (pickups) is too bright, I try different magnets and/or polepieces or even a different pickup to get the sound I'm after.

OK, I'm ready for the hate mail now.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                  Not in the sense of brand, but I use Pure Nickels with single Coils and longer scale guitars (Strat) and nickel plated with humbuckers and shorter scale guitar (Les Pauls).
                  ▲ ▲ ▲ This, for me. Pure nickel mellows Fenders a bit. Anything else electric gets nickel-steel.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I still have 3 guitars with the 81/85 set, soon to be 2 though lol, but on those 2 I'm 100% satisfied, and it's partly because the tone of standard round-core ghs boomers. I use EB slinky on everything else now.

Comment

Working...
                    X