SSS Wiring option...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSS Wiring option...

Hi all,, On thie SSS Strat schematic for a standard 1-V, 1-T, & a Blender control, what if any, audible difference is there if that LIGHT BLUE wire goes from the middle tone lug goes to 1st lug which also gets wired to the switch, OR moving that cable over to the middle lug, where it joins the positive lead that goes to the guitar jack? I see reputable schematics showing wiring show both ways, so I'd like to know about whatever benefits are achieved by going with one wiring or the other??

Many thnx in advance....

I cant see the pic of the schematic

Comment

Wiring to the left lug of the volume pot, as drawn, is "modern" wiring.

Wiring to the middle lug of the volume pot is called "classic", "traditional" or "50s style", take your pick.

"Modern" wiring makes it easy to put 2 tones in,, connected via the second bank of contacts on the selector switch. You can also change which tone pot affects which pickup that way.

"Classic" wiring is said to reduce treble loss at low volumes, combined with easier to clean up sounds for overdrive and distortion pedals.

Clearly wiring to the middle lug works with a 1 volume, 1 tone, 1 blender setup, but personally I struggle to see how it could be implemented with 2 tones fed off the same "out" from a single volume pot.
      Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 10-21-2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I also don't see any schematics.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

They were here last night but not this morning.

What the OP was asking, IIRC, is whether to wire the tone in a 1V, 1T, 1 blend setup with the tone feed from the master volume coming off the left outer lug or the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
            They were here last night but not this morning.

What the OP was asking, IIRC, is whether to wire the tone in a 1V, 1T, 1 blend setup with the tone feed from the master volume coming off the left outer lug or the middle.
            Ah, that clarifies it. Thanks.

Yes, that is correct about the difference. I wire all my guitars with 50's wiring because I like how it retains the treble as the vol is rolled down.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yes,, ya'll got my question right... I'm not so much concerned about treble loss when turning down, as I typically don't, but just in keeping all the tonal integrity with my simple 1 Vol, 1 Tone, & Blender setup(s)...
              So, Middle lug it is!!
              Many thanks~

I keep getting errors when loading pics on this site..

Comment

yeah, loading pics is broken so they need to be hosted if you want to show them. its a drag but hopefully itll get fixed

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSS Strat Type Neck Blend w Push Push Self Defeats and No Bridge in P-3 to P-5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	6121456

Comment

^ My way of doing it.

It avoids the bridge coming back on in P4 and P5.

You might also get the "no bridge" in P4 and P5 if you wire the blender between L-5 and L-COM, but don't wire the blend to L-1 or you certainly will.

The push-pull (or push-push) is optional but completely defeats the blender circuit if you do use one.

Comment

Working...
                    X