banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2-Hum 2-Vol 2-Tone 3-way toggle- coil split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-Hum 2-Vol 2-Tone 3-way toggle- coil split?

About to install a Jazz/neck and a JB in an older Gibson I have ('79 "The Paul" Walnut).

Quick question...

Beside the obvious locations of which pots you'd pull to split the pickup... is there any difference using the push-pull pots on the volume or tone pots. I was thinking they'd go on the tone pots ... there being 2 diagrams on the site placing them in either location has me wondering.?

There is no difference at all. It's all just a matter of preference and convenience. I personally find it more convenient to me to have the p/p on the tone pots, but others like them on the vol pots. Your choice.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, it's preference. My 2009 LP Trad Pro came stock with push/pulls on the volume pots.

Comment

Cool... that's kind of what I thought. Thanks... I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Those walnut guitars were really cool. How do you like yours? Is it heavy?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love the guitar... it was my first decent guitar purchased new in '79. I always liked the neck pickup but put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge mid 80's. I wish I knew where the old bridge pickup is, I'd probably like it now. I'll need to find a new home for the T-top neck PU I'll be swapping out here soon.
            It's not as heavy as a standard LP... haven't weighed it but I'd say it's around 8lbs.
            I'm putting new frets on it this weekend and wiring it up if all the parts show on Sat as scheduled.

I was going to start a new thread to ask the following... still may but maybe someone will catch this and point me in the right direction.

Wondering if it's possible to wire the two humbuckers where I could switch between 50's and Modern wiring...? Thinking the tone pots would need to both be a master tone for both pickups... one wired 50's the other modern?

*edit... I did just find a prewired harness that would do that but the switches are on the board in the control cavity. I think I'll just wire them up in a standard modern way with coil splits on two push-pull pots.
            Last edited by sps1; 10-22-2021, 05:47 AM. Reason: edited added question/search...

Comment

Originally posted by sps1 View Post
              I love the guitar... it was my first decent guitar purchased new in '79. I always liked the neck pickup but put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge mid 80's. I wish I knew where the old bridge pickup is, I'd probably like it now. I'll need to find a new home for the T-top neck PU I'll be swapping out here soon.
              It's not as heavy as a standard LP... haven't weighed it but I'd say it's around 8lbs.
              I'm putting new frets on it this weekend and wiring it up if all the parts show on Sat as scheduled.

I was going to start a new thread to ask the following... still may but maybe someone will catch this and point me in the right direction.

Wondering if it's possible to wire the two humbuckers where I could switch between 50's and Modern wiring...? Thinking the tone pots would need to both be a master tone for both pickups... one wired 50's the other modern?

*edit... I did just find a prewired harness that would do that but the switches are on the board in the control cavity. I think I'll just wire them up in a standard modern way with coil splits on two push-pull pots.
              Interesting idea. I didn't know someone made a harness for that.

Comment

Obsidian Wire

Here are a couple links... the first is the switchable 50's-60's LP - second is Strat harnesses. I used their HSS custom harness earlier this year and love it.

ObsidianWire has been building pro-wired Les Paul electronics since 2014, creating a premium Les Paul wiring harness with switchable vintage 50s Les Paul wiring, or modern 60s Les Paul wiring in one. Learn More...

A little expensive but high quality... the solderless system makes for a quick and somewhat easy (the first few connections are a PITA until you get the feel --- you need to press down a small plastic clip with a precision screwdriver while feeding the wire into a pretty small hole). Probably not something you'd do very often but once installed it would take about 15 minutes to swap in different pickups. I got a Custom HSS harness from them earlier this year for a SuperStrat remodel.

Comment

There's no functional difference between whether the switches are on tones or volumes, but for consideration, there's a practical difference where my preference might be to have the switches on the tones because I keep those at 10 mostly and it's easy to pull and keep the knob rotated to 10, whereas I keep my volumes at different levels across different songs and pulling the knob can put my volume out of place from where I had it.

Comment

Originally posted by sps1 View Post
                    Obsidian Wire

Here are a couple links... the first is the switchable 50's-60's LP - second is Strat harnesses. I used their HSS custom harness earlier this year and love it.

ObsidianWire has been building pro-wired Les Paul electronics since 2014, creating a premium Les Paul wiring harness with switchable vintage 50s Les Paul wiring, or modern 60s Les Paul wiring in one. Learn More...

A little expensive but high quality... the solderless system makes for a quick and somewhat easy (the first few connections are a PITA until you get the feel --- you need to press down a small plastic clip with a precision screwdriver while feeding the wire into a pretty small hole). Probably not something you'd do very often but once installed it would take about 15 minutes to swap in different pickups. I got a Custom HSS harness from them earlier this year for a SuperStrat remodel.
                    Wow, great stuff! I've always liked the modular plug in approach. About time they start using it more in guitars.

Comment

Just to add, if you're just doing a simple coil split, you might want to use the "genuine Gibson" push-pulls.

They're quite a bit more expensive than the non-branded / multi-branded six lug types, but they fit under the back covers much easier. They're simple SPST on/off switches too.

To wire for a coil split, just solder the red and white wires (SD colors) to one lug on the switch and ground the other lug to the side of the pot. In push you'll get full humbuckers, in pull you'll get coil splits.

Comment

Leave it to Gibson to make a simpler, less complicated, and less functional/versatile product and charge 5 times as much for it. Let's hear it for Gibson! Yea!

What is the actual measurement of the depth? It looks to me to be no shorter than CTS p/p pots.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Off the top of my head, and bearing in mind I'm on vacation 6,500 miles from my own ones, I'd say they are about 1/4 inch shallower, the crucial point being both the other types are just a little too long, and the Gibson ones aren't.

Comment

Someone let me know if what I'm thinking is correct with this wiring. The Seymour Duncan diagram isn't real clear on the orientation of the p/p pots. Insert with the CTS pots has red&white going to c2 and 3 to ground for a basic coil split.. Their pic is upside-down because that's how I'm looking at it. If I flip the SD diagram they are the same and it makes sense... where for the neck red&white to c1 and 1 to ground.? Thanks

Comment

The Paul was a cool model. All walnut - both body and neck. Ebony fretboard.
                              Today not many know, but they had long tenon necks too.

At the time it was the only guitar I knew of which could make T-tops sound huge.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X