banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom meets Super Distortion mod/swap (The Mag)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom meets Super Distortion mod/swap (The Mag)

Hey
    I made a thing:
    Duncan original The Mag (14.75k Custom wind) with a big ceramic magnet, slugs for the wound strings, and big hex screws for the plain strings. It should sound pretty loud and beefy in my Les Paul.
    Attached Files

The Mag are basically strat style pickups wound on Gibson style bobbins. They have no bar magnet and no keeper bar.
    You mean you yanked out the rod magnets and swapped in steel slugs and hexes without a keeper bar?
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

If it were me, I might put the hexes under the wound strings. IME hexes make things scooped, tight bass with some treble, while poles make plain strings a bit thicker in the mids and still have some top/twang/treble (twang only if on a long scale with bright wood body/neck).

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
        The Mag are basically strat style pickups wound on Gibson style bobbins. They have no bar magnet and no keeper bar.
        You mean you yanked out the rod magnets and swapped in steel slugs and hexes without a keeper bar?
        This is what I'm thinking!

Comment

But he's obviously added a large ceramic mag. Very interesting mod if so!

Do we know for sure that the Mag is based on the Custom wind? Wouldn't surprise me...

Comment

I don't know anything about the Mag. Like the StagMag without the Stag?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Correct, yanked the polished Alnico 5 rods and added a ceramic bar magnet. The Mag and Stag Mag use slug bobbins, so you can pull the alnico rods and replace with other rod magnets, slugs, or large hex screws (Super Distortion or Invader style).

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I don't know anything about the Mag. Like the StagMag without the Stag?
                The Mag is 14k coil, A5 poles, no stagger. StagMag is 16k coil, A2 poles, staggered. My StagMag sounds like a Distortion with coils in series (but with a bit of Brobucker/PAF mid-chime, which I think is coming from the A2 poles), a Telecaster with coils in parallel, and Strat with coils split. Very useful.

Here's a review:
                http://darthphineas.com/2019/08/seym...ncan-stag-mag/
                Last edited by beaubrummels; 10-24-2021, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

The Mag is 14k coil, A5 poles, no stagger. StagMag is 16k coil, A2 poles, staggered. My StagMag sounds like a Distortion with coils in series (but with a bit of Brobucker/PAF mid-chime, which I think is coming from the A2 poles), a Telecaster with coils in parallel, and Strat with coils split. Very useful.

Here's a review:
                  http://darthphineas.com/2019/08/seym...ncan-stag-mag/
                  Great info- thanks for sharing this!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What Beau said. I used my The Mag a long time in parallel wired as neck pup in a Les Paul style guitar. Gave me nice strat sounds in a Les Paul. This was before I discovered the benefits of a P90. Now it's a humbucker sized P90.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                    X