Pickup Compatibility using Free-way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Compatibility using Free-way switch

I recently installed a free-way switch into my strat which has a SD STK-S2 hot stack pickup in the neck, original Fender p/u (1966) in the middle and Dimarzio in the bridge. Everything appears to be wired up and functional, but I have noticed that when the neck SD pickup is in series with either of the other two the volume seems to be less rather then greater. This is almost like the neck is out of phase with the others, but I have the green wire at ground per the instruictions. By any chance is this a known issue due to the pickup resistance, winding, etc. being different from the others? Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum!

The neck SD is out of phase with the Fender. Just reverse the hot and ground of the SD and you should be fine. SD's pickups are only in phase with the earliest Fender pickups.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks. So "earliest" would be earlier than 1966? So black wire on ground and green on hot?
      Last edited by Stratmann; 11-03-2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratmann View Post
        Thanks. So "earliest" would be earlier than 1966? So black wire on ground and green on hot?
        Yes, and yes.

Comment

Thanks! I was probably going to eventually try that anyway for my own curiosity. but this makes me feel better about taking the time to open it up again. I really appreciate your time answering me..

Comment

Thanks! I was probably going to eventually try that anyway for my own curiosity. but this makes me feel better about taking the time to open it up again. I really appreciate your time answering me..
            No problem. Come back and let us know if this worked, and how the guitar sounds!

Comment

Will do. Thanks again.

Comment

Did you get the 5/10 way or the 3/6?

I use the 3/6tin my strat. The switch functionality and layout is great.
                its a high quality unit.

Comment

Mincer: Wow! That did it! By connecting the black wire to the ground and the green wire to hot it fixed more than I knew was broken. Position 10 is now louder than position 5 as it should be. Position 8 is louder than position 5 or 1 as it should be also. Now all of the new positions sound like worthy additions. Also, as a bonus position 4 has come alive. For 35 years (since I installed the SD P/U in the neck position that combination has been out of phase. Now my guitar sounds like a "Sultans of Swing" monster in position 4! (That position never got used by me previously.

Comment

Juanhanglo: I got the 5/10 way. Like I said above, by hooking up the neck pickup "out of phase" (per the drawings) it has everything working great now. Now that I know what a difference this has made, I am planning to get my son a 3/6 for his Tele for Christmas and install it for him. That's one way to get more versatility out of our instruments without objectionable modifications.

Comment

Mincer: Wow! That did it! By connecting the black wire to the ground and the green wire to hot it fixed more than I knew was broken. Position 10 is now louder than position 5 as it should be. Position 8 is louder than position 5 or 1 as it should be also. Now all of the new positions sound like worthy additions. Also, as a bonus position 4 has come alive. For 35 years (since I installed the SD P/U in the neck position that combination has been out of phase. Now my guitar sounds like a "Sultans of Swing" monster in position 4! (That position never got used by me previously.
                      Great to hear! That Hot Stack is one hell of a pickup.

Comment

It is. Position 5 with the Hot Stack is still my favorite. It gives that Strat sound with power!

Comment

Working...
                        X