banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JB 35th anniversary commemorative to use or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB 35th anniversary commemorative to use or not?

I bought a brand new JB 35th commemorative pickup a few months back, apparently it was the last one at the store and its in double black.
    So the question is do you think this edition will build up some collectors value over time?
    I´m a little hesistant to use it as strange as it may seem.
    Guitars; MIJ Fender Stratocaster E-series and Ibanez RG2570E MIJ 2003

if it was me, id use it. it might increase in value or might not, but its a great pup and id want to use it

Comment

Musical instruments that aren't played regularly are worthless. Put it in a guitar and play it!
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'd use it otherwise no point in buying it IMHO. The last things I ever worry about (fact is, I never worry about it) with anything gear related is resale value or if it's going to appreciate over time. If you're worried about it just use it and don't cut the leads on it. I never cut leads anyways, there's just no benefit in it.

Comment

Personally, I would either sell it now and net a profit or open that thing and play it. Even "used", it will retain most of its "collectible" value over time. Plus, the 35th is arguably the best sounding version of the JB SD has produced. So, if you bought it because you wanted a "JB" to play, you really can't do better!

Comment

I would use it, but not cut the wires back. I have the 35th Jazz neck and have used it in several guitars, but only just tinned the ends and use a terminal strip to put it into guitars to try it.

I've been looking for a 35th JB bridge to match it, but whenever they come up, I don't have that much money on hand. Have to be patient, or maybe just pay the Custom Shop to make me one close when I do have the money.

Comment

I don't know how much value any pickup has in real money, unless it is from a 50s or 60s guitar. So I'd go ahead and use it. Life is too short to hold onto something that might, one day, be worth 25% more than when it was new in the box.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishHumbucker View Post
                I bought a brand new JB 35th commemorative pickup a few months back, apparently it was the last one at the store and its in double black.
                So the question is do you think this edition will build up some collectors value over time?
                Maybe some day to some people. The trick is finding that person at the right time. I wouldn't count on being able to do both of those things and make a large enough profit to make the years of storage worthwhile.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Thanks for your input, i’m gonna put it in one of my Strats
                  Guitars; MIJ Fender Stratocaster E-series and Ibanez RG2570E MIJ 2003

Comment

That's the way! Just play it :-)

Comment

You got some cool bragging rights, though!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

That's the way! Just play it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dude - The Commemorative JB - AND the last one at the store?

I would take that, and get a fireproof box. Something that can seal from the oxygen, and light. Toss some desiccant in there to keep moisture from trashing the wire/metal, and maybe even an O2 absorber to prevent the oxygen from interacting with the bobbins.

Have you seen what a 40 year old junky T-Top goes for? These are actually good pickups! And rare. That thing is a $500 to $1000 tone brick someday.

I wouldn't even set it down near a guitar. You can get a stock JB to rock anywhere.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I would take that, and get a fireproof box. Something that can seal from the oxygen, and light. Toss some desiccant in there to keep moisture from trashing the wire/metal, and maybe even an O2 absorber to prevent the oxygen from interacting with the bobbins.

Have you seen what a 40 year old junky T-Top goes for? These are actually good pickups! And rare. That thing is a $500 to $1000 tone brick someday.

I wouldn't even set it down near a guitar. You can get a stock JB to rock anywhere.
                            He could be dead too by that point. I say rock that damn thing and not even worry for a second what it will be worth in the future. People put way too much into worrying about what something will be worth someday way down the road. Live now and enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Sounds like what a typical blues lawyer would do.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X