banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pots for Tele with JB in neck and Blue Lace Sensor in bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots for Tele with JB in neck and Blue Lace Sensor in bridge?

Hi all,

Just wondering what you suggest for pots for a JB Jr. in the neck and Blue Lace Sensor in the bridge of the 1983 Tele I'm updating. Just opened it up; it's got the double tone pot (TBX) and standard 250K volume. I'm setting this up for jazz playing with Chrome 12's. And how might the electronics need to change if I instead went with the original '83 bridge Pup (measures 7.4K). Thanks for any ideas! Mark

welcome to the forum!

id guess the jbjr might over power the blue lace. im assuming you are talking about a strat neck jbjr? but yes, 250k pots

Comment

I'd use 250k. The JB Jr was designed to drop right in without any other modifications. If the sound is too dark, then you can decide to change the value, but start at 250k.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        welcome to the forum!

id guess the jbjr might over power the blue lace. im assuming you are talking about a strat neck jbjr? but yes, 250k pots
        Thank you! And actually no + that's an important point I forgot all about - the JB I have is for the bridge. Hmmm maybe not such a good idea for Tele neck.. Already ordered the pickguard from WD with a hole for a Strat pup so some form of Strat pup is going in there lol. I just have had this JB laying around for years and wanted to put it to use.

Comment

you could wire the jbjr bridge in parallel and that might be a very cool neck pup

Comment

you could wire the jbjr bridge in parallel and that might be a very cool neck pup
            Thank you! This is what I'm going to do.

Comment

I'll need a push-pull in addition to the DPDT switch to make this happen?

edit: Or a single CTS DPDT push pull will work - wire the JB to the DPDT per SD instruction sheet and wire the Lace Sensor as normal, hot to switch and black to ground - this configuration will give either series or parallel, or does the Lace Sensor also need to be wired to DPDT? Sorry for the stupid questions; obviously I've never done parallel wiring before. Thanks for any help, Mark
              Last edited by Danno Five-0; 11-11-2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Before you give up on the JBJr, try lowering the whole pickup about 1/8 inch (3mm) on both sides. This brings the volume down and smoothes the mid spike a bit.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Not giving up on the JB; I’m putting it in the neck position of my Tele. Going to wire in parallel and just trying to figure out how that will work with my Blue Lace Sensor in the bridge..

Comment

Originally posted by Danno Five-0 View Post
                    Not giving up on the JB; I’m putting it in the neck position of my Tele. Going to wire in parallel and just trying to figure out how that will work with my Blue Lace Sensor in the bridge..
                    I'd think that would sound great.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Danno Five-0 View Post

I'll need a push-pull in addition to the DPDT switch to make this happen?

edit: Or a single CTS DPDT push pull will work - wire the JB to the DPDT per SD instruction sheet and wire the Lace Sensor as normal, hot to switch and black to ground - this configuration will give either series or parallel, or does the Lace Sensor also need to be wired to DPDT? Sorry for the stupid questions; obviously I've never done parallel wiring before. Thanks for any help, Mark
                      If you want to do parallel/series switching, you'd need a push/pull pot or a separate switch to accomplish this. If you want to wire it in parallel permanently, you don't need the switch.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks everyone, did the Stew Mac order. Got a CTS 250K DPDT push pull, fresh 3-way and I’ll keep the TBX tone pot that’s already there.

Comment

Working...
                        X