Screws vs. slugs pole pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screws vs. slugs pole pieces

Usually humbuckers have one row with screws and the other row with slugs pole pieces. However there are unconventional humbuckers that have:

- Both rows with screws (see attachment "double_screws")

- Both rows with slugs (see attachment "double_slugs")

How do those different pole pieces configurations AFFECT THE TONE?

You'll see double slug on pos pickups. It has an immediate and kind of glossy tone. It isn't bad. Double screw is pretty cool and it has different effects depending on what kind of screw is used. Double filister gives a bit more bite/grind in the neck and seems to have the reverse effect in the bridge and round it a bit. Double hex sounds more bitey and clicky in either position.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

The more adjustable polepieces, the better. I find that you can get better string balance and tweak the tone of the pickup a fair bit by playing around with them.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Actually, I think double-slug is an under-utilized configuration that is (unfortunately) associated with older, budget-oriented OEM pickups made of generally low-quality parts that largely lacked clarity.

Slugs are a great way to increase the inductance of a coil without doing things like adding extra iron slugs (i.e. DiMarzio "virtual vintage" tech) or relying on Alnico mags. Slugs add warmth and output, but, like a "rail" or "blade" pole, suffer from a lack of adjustability. Of course, this doesn't necessarily matter to a majority of players. DiMarzio's use of oversized set screws as "hex poles" in many of their early designs had a similar effect to using dual slugs, but allowed for better adjustment.

If you've ever played the black covered 490R/498T pickups from Gibson that they were using a few years back, those were actually double-slug under the covers and sounded great! Same with a lot of the Tom Anderson pickups, which are pretty darn exceptional across the board and use slug poles almost exclusively.

Comment

To keep my answer relatively short, let's share below a screenshot showing the electrically induced response of screws coil and slugs coil with a typical HB, under typical load:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HBslugsVSscrewsRz.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	6127785

Interpretation of this pic: electrically, the slugs coil is brighter (because a wee bit less inductive) and louder (because its magnetic circuit is more efficient).

Now, this result has been obtained from a pickup fitted with a braided shielded coax cable. If it had a 4 conductors cable, results would differ cause the cable would alter coils coupling.

Other parameters able to change the tonal outcome are...

-the placement under the strings, obviously: the slugs coil of a bridge humbucker being closer to the neck, it sounds warmer than the screws coil because it filters harmonics differently (even it it's electrically brighter);

-the heights of the pickup, its angle under the strings, but also the setting of the screw poles: the more screw poles are prominent, the more inductance their coil will exhibit and the louder it will become - compensating its relative electrical weakness comparatively to the slugs coil;

-the materials and construction involved: if time and intellectual property weren't limiting my contribution, I'd share some comparisons between a dozen of humbuckers showing how they produce harmonics when their coils are excited by a 1khz signal... It would reveal that some pickups produce extremely assymetric harmonics while others generate almost exactly the same harmonic content from each coil... This difference appears to depend on the coils themselves, but also on the alloys used for the slugs, screws, keeper bars, baseplates, magnets (and such an harmonic difference can't be measured through a conventional resonant frequency measurement like above, BTW).

So, my own humble conclusion would be that practically (and not electrically), the tonal difference between slugs and screws coils depends on way too much parameters to be defined absolutely. YMMV.
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I think the whole thing is rather confused here. Some say double slugs are 'warmer', the others say the same about screws.

It's so much more the mass of iron (and their alloy to lower extend) that brings the inductance up than the shape of the iron.
            Double screws have double keeper bars. Slug can have different length. Even a bar magnet has a smaller amount of ferrous metal.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Footnote to the previous answer: it goes without saying that the response characterizing one single screws coil or slugs coil should be "doubled" in any pickup exhbiting twice each kind of coil... in theory... but in real life, variations on other specs lead to the blurry tonal landsape noticed by Hamerfan.

I remember double slugs Epiphone pickups in which one row of slugs had been slotted to make them look like screws. Tonally, these double slugs HB's had only one remarkable feature: their tendency to sound dead comparatively to a good pickup properly built. :-P
              Last edited by freefrog; 11-13-2021, 11:39 PM.
              Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I was under the impression that the screws were very slightly warmer.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

General rule of thumb:

Slugs = more bass and treble

Screws = more midrange.

Look at the full shred and the custom 5 for example. They are close to each other resistance wise. The only difference, besides wind pattern is the slugs in one coil.

The custom 5 is scooped, while the full shred is more even across the spectrum, with decreased bass.

Of course the pole type, pole screw length, and other stuff also play a factor in the final sound

Comment

I have a 59/Custom Hybrid with double screws, and it certainly has more mids than a stock one.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      sounds more bitey and clicky
                      WAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                        General rule of thumb:

Slugs = more bass and treble

Screws = more midrange.
                        This is my experience - you can even tell just splitting to the slug and the screw coil one after the other and hear that difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

WAT.
                          Yaz
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Like I said earlier: if we're talking about double filister compared to standard, it rounds it out in the bridge and has the opposite effect of adding a bit of bite in the neck.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                            X