banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2x SSL-3 or 2x STK-S2 with a Hot Rails bridge??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x SSL-3 or 2x STK-S2 with a Hot Rails bridge??????

So I am having a tough time trying to decide which would be better to pair with the Hot Rails on the bridge of an LTD ST-213 - a pair of SSL-3's Hot Strat (with the middle RWRP...), or a pair of STK-S2's Hot Stack Strat...

The guitar is an Alder body, bolt-on maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard, vintage trem. Style-wise it's gonna be used for primarily metal and hard/classic rock, but it will cover anything...

As for what I'm looking for tone-wise from the middle & neck spots: a higher output and a much meatier tone, yet still capable of being and handling clean stuff as it can the heavy stuff. Noiseless is nice, but not a deal breaker - hence why I'm considering the SSL-3's for a more traditional single coil tone in those spots...

So with this being said, which would you prefer to pair with the Hot Rails in the bridge: the Hot Strat SSL-3's, or the Hot Stack Strat STK-S2's???

Thanks!!

I think personally, I'd opt for the hum cancelling ones. You will still get a thick meaty tone, but without the noise.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've gotten a little weird with my noise vs noiseless tastes, but here's my feeling:

Either every pickup position is noise cancelling or none of them are. The only time 60 cycle hum irritates me is when it's inconsistent.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
      X