How to reduce hum from singlecoils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to reduce hum from singlecoils?

What’s your best tips to reduce hum from singlecoils?
    i have two Strats and love singlecoils and also high gain but i would like to reduce the hum.
    Guitars; MIJ Fender Stratocaster E-series and Ibanez RG2570E MIJ 2003

Make sure the guitar is well-shielded. Sometimes it is the room itself that is noisy, too. Stay away from dimmer switches. I've used active noise-cancelling systems that work, too. But in the end, if it really bothers you, it might be time for noiseless pickups.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Make sure the guitar is well-shielded. Sometimes it is the room itself that is noisy, too. Stay away from dimmer switches. I've used active noise-cancelling systems that work, too. But in the end, if it really bothers you, it might be time for noiseless pickups.
      i use both singlecoils and stacked humbuckers

Guitars; MIJ Fender Stratocaster E-series and Ibanez RG2570E MIJ 2003

Comment

If you keep your volume knob at 10 all the time and you just switch between clean and overdrive channels (or use overdrive pedals into a clean amp) then a noise suppressor pedal could be useful. When I am in the mood of playing like that I use my ISP Decimator G String ii and keep the amp's preamp sectiion silent when I don't play any note, then if the noise is not too extreme it will be masked by your guitar when playing.

Another thing I am quite intrigued about is using one of those ILICH hum cancelling coils for true single coils.
        Who took my guitar?

Comment

Find a noise gate that works for you. High gain is noisy in and of itself.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

There's always a quiet angle to hold your guitar. When you've got your gain up, change the angle of the guitar and slowly turn around in a little circle. There will be one point where you're not getting any noise, even with your gain maxxed out. That's the way you have to point your guitar while recording or playing to keep it silent.

That and get used to rolling down your guitar volume as soon as you're done playing.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

For Strat single coils, Ilitch dummy coils do a good job. The official product is super expensive for what it is but it's really simple to DIY, since it's a large air coil with a few turns of thick wire... The only problem is to place it: the guitar needs to be routed and / or to receive a giant backplate.

A crude dummy coil can work in a decent way if it has the proper specs and is placed in an optimal way. It's even easier to DIY than an Ilitch coil since it can be obtained from a cheapo single coil with plastic bobbin, whose magnet(s) has/have been pulled off.

Of course, stack or rails pickups are another option, among others (Lace Sensors, Music Man active noise reduction circuit and so on)

I've many of these solutions in my own guitars : they have all their pros and cons.

Side note: TriSonic single coils are less noisy than Fender PU's - and there's Strat sized TriSonic's for anyone who would appreciate their glassy tone.
              Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

A little trick I came up with was to put the rwrp in the neck and then use a neck/bridge blender knob. That way you can blend in a tad of the bridge if you're in neck position and vice versa and have it cancel hum but not change the tone too badly, or even improve it.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

The single biggest difference I have found is shielding the guitar well.

I prefer true singles to noiseless singles, but in a guitar that's not shielded (well) I can't deal with them.

Comment

I saw an interesting idea on YouTube (yeah I know) the other day.

Colin Smith (csguitars) winds his own pickups.

He made a hum canceling "single coil", where he cut the bobbin in two, configured one half as a single coil for the wound strings, and the other half as a RWRP coil for the plain strings, then joined the two coils together electrically and mechanically, producing a kind of twin coil single coil, not unlike a Precision bass's two pickups glued end to end.

Comment

My single coil guitars are shielded very well. It helps a lot but it does not clean up everything. One strat has an Area 61/58/58 set along with the shielding. That beast is about as quiet as it gets and they sound really good.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                        For Strat single coils, Ilitch dummy coils do a good job. The official product is super expensive for what it is but it's really simple to DIY, since it's a large air coil with a few turns of thick wire... The only problem is to place it: the guitar needs to be routed and / or to receive a giant backplate.

A crude dummy coil can work in a decent way if it has the proper specs and is placed in an optimal way. It's even easier to DIY than an Ilitch coil since it can be obtained from a cheapo single coil with plastic bobbin, whose magnet(s) has/have been pulled off.

Of course, stack or rails pickups are another option, among others (Lace Sensors, Music Man active noise reduction circuit and so on)

I've many of these solutions in my own guitars : they have all their pros and cons.

Side note: TriSonic single coils are less noisy than Fender PU's - and there's Strat sized TriSonic's for anyone who would appreciate their glassy tone.
                        The single coil Trisonics are cool as hell. I BHM'd a mahogany partscaster with a set and the complete vol/phase switching circuit. They are an extremely unique sound/voice to have available.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                          I saw an interesting idea on YouTube (yeah I know) the other day.

Colin Smith (csguitars) winds his own pickups.

He made a hum canceling "single coil", where he cut the bobbin in two, configured one half as a single coil for the wound strings, and the other half as a RWRP coil for the plain strings, then joined the two coils together electrically and mechanically, producing a kind of twin coil single coil, not unlike a Precision bass's two pickups glued end to end.
                          FWIW, this principle has been applied in the past by various winders and makers including... Fender (with the Super 55 Split coils).

A potential problem is that any bending of the G string makes it pass from one coil to the other and kills the output temporarily... It's not a problem with bass guitars. It's rarely annoying with bridge PU's. But with neck single coils used to play "the blues" with heavily bent strings, it becomes a deal breaker. See this review about the Super 55 Split coils: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B005MR6GFO

A solution is to build coils having each a pointy triangular end, in order to put these two ends side by side under the strings. That's the idea behind the Fralin Split Blades. The angled coils in Zexcoil pickups have been designed along the same line...

FWIW.

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

^ thumbs up given. Colin didn't claim it as his own idea, but I thought it was an interesting concept.

Comment

I have one SSS Strat with traditional single-coils. It's fine for at home or playing at church with the worship group. If I was playing it out at bars, clubs, and festivals, those would come right out and noiseless would go in. It's 2021. And the Classic Stack Plus is the best noiseless, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X