Decided (almost) to move the P-Rails from my SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided (almost) to move the P-Rails from my SG

I am thinking of swapping them into my DIY HH Strat and put the proper humbuckers (well, one of them) from the Strat in the SG.

I have a Jazz neck and a TB4 trembucker in the HH Strat, so I will need a different bridge pickup for the SG.

Suggestions?

dont wanna try the jb in the sg?

Comment

The Jazz neck is a regular humbucker and will go in the SG's neck, straight swap, no issues.

The TB4 bridge is a trembucker, poles spaced for a Strat or similar, and will look odd in the SG, if it fits at all.

Comment

The TB4 will be fine in the SG. Give it a shot.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Either the TB4 will be sold on, or, more likely, get saved for another HSS build.

My "short" list, for the bridge is a matching Jazz, a 59, a JB4, a 59, a Custom or a 59/Custom Hybrid...

Comment

How old is said SG?

If it's recent, you'll need a TB to align properly with the strings/bridge.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I think a 59/Custom Hybrid would be great in an SG, or if you don't want something as hot, go for a Saturday Night Special.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                How old is said SG?
                If it's recent, you'll need a TB to align properly with the strings/bridge.

The SG string spacing is regular humbucker spacing, 1-15/16ths E to e.

This compares to 2-1/16th on the HH Strat.

Both were measured over the middle of the humbucker using my high accuracy Stanley tape measure :-)
                Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 11-16-2021, 06:00 PM.

Comment

The flip side of this is whether or not the P-Rails would be better suited to a Strat type. Alder body, maple + rosewood neck, 2 volumes, 1 tone.

I appreciate that AFAIK there isn't a trembucker version of the P-Rail bridge, and I'd have to live with that.

I would wire them for the "full Monty" P-Rails setup: humbuckers series, P90s, rails or humbuckers parallel, 500k pots throughput, regular 3-way switch, push-pulls for the coil splits etc.

Comment

Jazz bridge for ultimate 70ties SG sounds, but I really liked the mega scooped Custom5 in a friend's SG thru a Marshall. Hybrid is also worth a shot.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Jazz in the neck, 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge. Individual push pull coil splits using the tone knobs, independent volumes, treble bleeds, job done.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I bet that sounds as fine as it looks!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sounds far better on the splits than the originals did, thats for sure.

I'm still twiddling knobs to get the best out of the humbuckers, but I'm sure they'll be great too.

That and messing about putting the P-Rails in my DIY HH Strat. I've abandoned the complicated SD wiring scheme, I just can't get it right. I'm going for straight push-push coil splits on the tone knob to the P90s, independent volumes, single tone, and a Tele 4-way switch to give me the three usuals plus both pickups in series. In time I may buy the Tripleshot mounting rings, but not for now.

Comment

Working...
                          X