P90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90s

How noisy are P90s generally? My latest project guitar will be using a single P90, which due to placement might have to be direct to output. Apart from ensuring all grounding is done, are there any "tricks" to be done that might quiet them down a tad? Would 250K pots make them too quiet?

They have more hum with more gain. Generally, make sure the cavity is shielded, and it is grounded properly. You might need a noise gate if you use lots of gain. How you stand in a room can vary the noise amount, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think a lot of the complaint is more due to where it is played than the pickup itself.

Sitting in a room with three amps, two gain stacked OD's 4 feet from and amp speaker pointed at the guitar - yeah, it's gonna be noisy.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        They have more hum with more gain. Generally, make sure the cavity is shielded, and it is grounded properly. You might need a noise gate if you use lots of gain. How you stand in a room can vary the noise amount, too.
        A noise gate pedal might be ideal since I currently have other guitars with noise issues, but (of course) mostly from me standing too close to the amp.

It'd be nice to be able to stand wherever I want in my own house.

Comment

If noise is a big issue, you could do a dummy coil or a P90 stack.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
            Dummy coils are great. Just blending it a bit makes a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
              The pickup has already been chosen, Tonerider Vintage 90. A dummy coil could fit the neck pickup so I don't have a gaping hole in the guard. Something to look into.

Comment

My P90's aren't all that noisy. Good shielding and good wiring goes a long way. I have mine wired with 500k volume and 250k tone.

Comment

My only set of real p90s are a set of yamahas in my revstat. They are really quiet until i fire up my bogner red pedal.

Its a combo of the pedal's inherent noise, the sheer amount of gain, and the pickup itself.

Even then, it wasnt that bad. The tone is worth it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                    My only set of real p90s are a set of yamahas in my revstat. They are really quiet until i fire up my bogner red pedal.

Its a combo of the pedal's inherent noise, the sheer amount of gain, and the pickup itself.

Even then, it wasnt that bad. The tone is worth it IMO.
                    I'm probably jumping the gun anyway, I've not played P90s before and I have no idea how these ones even sound. Maybe I'll be lucky.

Comment

If ur open to the form factor of the Phat Cat, it's pretty quiet. The reason is that the entire pickup is shielded. The ground is connected to the baseplate, the cover is connected to the baseplate and the pole screws contact both. Pretty good design imo.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        If ur open to the form factor of the Phat Cat, it's pretty quiet. The reason is that the entire pickup is shielded. The ground is connected to the baseplate, the cover is connected to the baseplate and the pole screws contact both. Pretty good design imo.
                        I have used a Phat Cat before, a good sound when played, but it just felt "dead" otherwise. I sold the pickup and the guitar I had it in pretty soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                          I have used a Phat Cat before, a good sound when played, but it just felt "dead" otherwise.
                          What kind of sound do you usually get out of pickups when not played??? :P
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

What kind of sound do you usually get out of pickups when not played??? :P
                            Anything from hum to feedback to sustain to reverb.

This thread is concerned with hum and feedback and how to minimise them.

For now. Maybe we can do "jokes" later.

Comment

I don't have any noise problems with them. Like Mincer said with high gain they'll be a bit noisier but like Ace said also it has the most to do with where you're standing. If you're directly in front of your amp of course it will be noisy but just a foot or two back and the angle of your body in relation to the amp can change that.
                              Last edited by solspirit; 11-21-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X