Strat pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat pickups

I currently have a set of Fender CS69s in my strat. For whatever reason, they simply are not doing it for me. I'm looking for something between Hendrix and Thomas Blug. Clip below is my dream strat tone. Thoughts and suggestions... go!

2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

A quick search seems to indicate that Blug uses Kloppmann pickups...If you don't mind paying €400 for a set you could try those.

On the other end of the scale he seems to have a signature "Vintage" guitar with Wilkinson wvs pickups.

Comment

Sounds like the Psychedelic set, to me. There is also the Hendrix set. Both are great late 60s Fender sounds.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Do you find the CS69s too bright/scratchy/peaky? I started using some very low output strat pickups not too long ago and was really having trouble gelling with the sound. Turns out they sound better with more cable capacitance - so either plug in a longer cable run than normal before your amp (or first buffered pedal), or a very small cap in parallel with the input jack. This has the effect of reducing the highest highs and lows and slightly increasing the mid range. It really transformed the pickups.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

theres a fair amount of gain along with some delay and who knows what else going on in that clip. im guessing with the right rig, your cs69's will do that or really close. the psychedellic set or hendrix set is going to be similar to what you have. personally id just get a set of ssl2 (ssl1 if you want staggered poles) if i was going after that tone, but again, i think you can get close with the pups you have with the right rig

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            theres a fair amount of gain along with some delay and who knows what else going on in that clip. im guessing with the right rig, your cs69's will do that or really close.
            I would tend to agree with this.

However, I'd like to throw in a recommendation that you check out DiMarzio's "True Velvet" set

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              theres a fair amount of gain along with some delay and who knows what else going on in that clip. im guessing with the right rig, your cs69's will do that or really close. the psychedellic set or hendrix set is going to be similar to what you have. personally id just get a set of ssl2 (ssl1 if you want staggered poles) if i was going after that tone, but again, i think you can get close with the pups you have with the right rig
              Agreed. I can get close to that with SSL-2's, Fender 57/62's, or with Tex-Mex pickups.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I just posted a few days ago about how the set I bought from Bootstrap Pickups were utterly glorious ('54 Sparkle set - low wound, alnico 3)

Give them a shot! They're mind blowing and inexpensive!
                Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Yah, Blug's rig is dialed in with a lot of gain & mids; even when he rolls back it's a slightly grainy overdriven sound that's very full.
                  The lead tone is smooth & vocal, stays fairly sweet and round even when the wah kicks in.
                  No chime and very little glass - to me that's almost the polar opposite of Hendrix's bright, raw, and urgent tone.

Not very well-suited to the voicing of low output mid-60s type Strat pickups IMO.
                  Of course as others have said, that doesn't mean it can't be done with what you've got, .
                  But if you're looking for pickups that are naturally closer to that kind of sound, I'd suggest a beefier wind.

On a scale with that Blug tone at one end and classic Hendrix sound at the other, the midpoint would still be fairly full.
                  I think something along the lines of the various Texas/blues sets might be appropriate for that.
                  Duncan's Antiquity Texas, Fralin Blues Specials or Vintage Hots, Lollar S Specials, and Fender Texas Specials all are in that ballpark.
                  Strong and full for good sustain and some extra output, yet still well-defined enough to get a bit Hendrix-y if you cut the mids on the amp.
                  Have a set of Lindy Fralin's Vintage Hots in one of my Fenders and I absolutely love them. Rich, sweet, singing, still unmistakably Strat.

A bit more affordable is Onamac Windery - Kerry winds some very, very good singlecoils. His Texas Magic and Pinktone sets are wonderful.
                  There are plenty of even less expensive but well-regarded sets along these lines too, from companies like Bootsrap and Tonerider.

~~

The example in the OP doesn't sound super Stratlike to me; for frequent high gain use you might actually prefer something noiseless.
                  Stacked coil, or even rails. Many of these can still sound pretty singlecoily when needed, but with a lot less hum.
                  The more gain you use, the more of an advantage that is; many players decide it's worth giving up a little air and chime.
                  Most stacked sets aim to be as close to classic Strat tone as possible, so those might be a little on the thin side for your needs.
                  But DiMarzio's Injector set has a reputation for fatness without completely sacrificing Strattiness. Haven't owned those myself.

Another option might be active pickups. I do have an old EMG Strat set with a nice singlecoil core tone plus an active SPC tone control.
                  The SPC was originally billed as a presence control, but really it's a fat knob that gradually brings the singles into humbucker territory.

Don't know how you feel about active circuitry. I really don't like guitars that need batteries myself, and this is my only one.
                  Still, the system is quite practical: it's quiet, powerful & extremely versatile - covers a huge amount of territory tonewise.
                  And the battery lasts a really long time - literally years between changes.
                  For me, those EMGs have been consistent and reliable for close to four decades.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                    Yah, Blug's rig is dialed in with a lot of gain & mids; even when he rolls back it's a slightly grainy overdriven sound that's very full.
                    The lead tone is smooth & vocal, stays fairly sweet and round even when the wah kicks in.
                    No chime and very little glass - to me that's almost the polar opposite of Hendrix's bright, raw, and urgent tone.

Not very well-suited to the voicing of low output mid-60s type Strat pickups IMO.
                    Of course as others have said, that doesn't mean it can't be done with what you've got, .
                    But if you're looking for pickups that are naturally closer to that kind of sound, I'd suggest a beefier wind.

On a scale with that Blug tone at one end and classic Hendrix sound at the other, the midpoint would still be fairly full.
                    I think something along the lines of the various Texas/blues sets might be appropriate for that.
                    Duncan's Antiquity Texas, Fralin Blues Specials or Vintage Hots, Lollar S Specials, and Fender Texas Specials all are in that ballpark.
                    Strong and full for good sustain and some extra output, yet still well-defined enough to get a bit Hendrix-y if you cut the mids on the amp.
                    Have a set of Lindy Fralin's Vintage Hots in one of my Fenders and I absolutely love them. Rich, sweet, singing, still unmistakably Strat.

A bit more affordable is Onamac Windery - Kerry winds some very, very good singlecoils. His Texas Magic and Pinktone sets are wonderful.
                    There are plenty of even less expensive but well-regarded sets along these lines too, from companies like Bootsrap and Tonerider.

~~

The example in the OP doesn't sound super Stratlike to me; for frequent high gain use you might actually prefer something noiseless.
                    Stacked coil, or even rails. Many of these can still sound pretty singlecoily when needed, but with a lot less hum.
                    The more gain you use, the more of an advantage that is; many players decide it's worth giving up a little air and chime.
                    Most stacked sets aim to be as close to classic Strat tone as possible, so those might be a little on the thin side for your needs.
                    But DiMarzio's Injector set has a reputation for fatness without completely sacrificing Strattiness. Haven't owned those myself.

Another option might be active pickups. I do have an old EMG Strat set with a nice singlecoil core tone plus an active SPC tone control.
                    The SPC was originally billed as a presence control, but really it's a fat knob that gradually brings the singles into humbucker territory.

Don't know how you feel about active circuitry. I really don't like guitars that need batteries myself, and this is my only one.
                    Still, the system is quite practical: it's quiet, powerful & extremely versatile - covers a huge amount of territory tonewise.
                    And the battery lasts a really long time - literally years between changes.
                    For me, those EMGs have been consistent and reliable for close to four decades.
                    I do love my DG-20 set...

Comment

I was currently obsessed with getting some CS69's but threads like this kill the gas.

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

Agreed. I can get close to that with SSL-2's, Fender 57/62's, or with Tex-Mex pickups.
                      I have a 2021 Fender Player with the new A5 pickups that are "stratty", and another MIM with Tex-Mex, and currently have 1 SSL-1 at the moment (waiting to build a set). I think I'll be happy with what I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        I was currently obsessed with getting some CS69's but threads like this kill the gas.

I have a 2021 Fender Player with the new A5 pickups that are "stratty", and another MIM with Tex-Mex, and currently have 1 SSL-1 at the moment (waiting to build a set). I think I'll be happy with what I've got.
                        I think the secret to that tone is A5 pickups with enough push to make the mids pop, but without giving up all the sparkle that you'd get from a vintage single.

That, or just use a TS style pedal with Alnico V pickups and adjust to taste.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Low output strat pickups are great . . . but you have to get used to them. I find my guitar with 'em to be very different from my guitar with SSL-2s.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                            I just posted a few days ago about how the set I bought from Bootstrap Pickups were utterly glorious ('54 Sparkle set - low wound, alnico 3)

Give them a shot! They're mind blowing and inexpensive!
                            I really want a set of the Sun City Selects.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

I do love my DG-20 set...
                              Pretty sure that's exactly the same as mine. Just that when I got them around 1980 they weren't a Gilmour signature set yet.

IMO the SPC is just fantastic for filling and smoothing driven tones, while the EXG works nicely on cleans but (for me) not so well with OD.
                              Using the EXG, a little bit goes a long way - I don't think I've ever turned it up halfway.
                              I assume the EQ curve was designed with humbuckers in mind. Bet it does very well on those.

Actually considered a regular passive tone knob for the EMG-loaded Strat, and moving the EXG to a humbucker guitar.
                              But that'd mean another guitar using a battery, possibly even needing to route a cavity for it.
                              Every time, the lazy part of me decides that's too much hassle.

And, though I occasionally miss being able to roll off the highs a bit, I really do love this guitar just the way it is.
                              Much broader tone range than my other Fenders, yet it still can deliver that instantly recognizable Strat character.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X